Any ideas

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
Those anyone have ideas of catfish that will live for life in a 300 gallon cold water outdoor pond?

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
do channel cats do welll in 80 degree water? Summer pond temp.

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
It seems that bullheads and channels will live in my area along with white catfish. Would a white or albino channel cat be able to stay in a 300 gallon pond with a 63 x 69 in. for life or short term?

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
A channel cat would eventually outgrow a 300 gallon. It would be fine for a while, but they do get big. Any type of bullhead would be fine for life. Check what the possession laws are for California, though. I know there are a lot of restrictions on what can and can't be kept there due to the environments susceptibility to invasion.

blurock

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
Washington
It could last them awhile if you start them smaller. I've found that they go threw a growth spurt between 6 and 20" then tend to slow down. If there weren't a lot of other fish a channel could probably live for some time in a 63x69. They are very hardy as well, and could stand the 80 degree summer temp if the pond is deep enough and reaches that temp gradually.

If you wanted a fish in there for life though, I would go with a bullhead. You could have more than one bullhead in there too, but I would only recommend one channel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store