Any scouts on MFK?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hey all!

My long (7-8 year) scouting career has finally come to a close; tonight I received the top scouting award in South Africa: the Springbok award.
1603486028046.png
This was quite the task! There are currently 4 advancement levels in South Africa, being: Traveller, Discoverer, First class and Springbok. This programme was installed last year, I technically did the first 3 levels of the last programme too. I finished late last year, and Covid delayed the ceremony quite a bit.

From what I understand the equivalent in the US is the Eagle scout, has anyone here done it? From what I understand it is somewhat easier to do than the Springbok (4% of scouts get is vs 0.5% here) but it must be quite the achievement nontheless! And even for those that don't shoot for the top there is plenty to learn from it :D

Where are all my scout brothers at?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I was a scout in Colombia. I did not make it to Eagle scout, I dropped out of the organization much before that.
Two of my former students (in the USA) made it to Eagle Scouts. I had the pleasure of writing a statement on behalf of one of them.
Congratulation to you, Sir Springbok Scout! Well deserved!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I made it to LIFE scout which is the step below EAGLE. I had all the merit badges except swimming and lifesaving. Not a very good swimmer back then. Not much better now but good enough so I do not drown.

Reactions: tlindsey

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Congrats!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I was a scout in Colombia. I did not make it to Eagle scout, I dropped out of the organization much before that.
Two of my former students (in the USA) made it to Eagle Scouts. I had the pleasure of writing a statement on behalf of one of them.
Congratulation to you, Sir Springbok Scout! Well deserved!
Must have been wonderful to write for them!

Hello; I made it to LIFE scout which is the step below EAGLE. I had all the merit badges except swimming and lifesaving. Not a very good swimmer back then. Not much better now but good enough so I do not drown.
You sure you aren't a cat?

I was a weblo until I was asked to leave after an unfortunate sterno accident. Good on ya!
Weblo?

Congrats!
Congrats quite the achievement!
Congrats!
Thank you all.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Hearty Congratulations young Springbuck! I never became an actual Boy Scout myself.

My folks hosted the Cub scouts 3 years, but we moved around & I left it when my dad went to Vietnam, to run a radar on the edge of the jungle.

I had done lots of camping, shooting, hunting, hiking and biking in the woods and mountains and desert, as a kid. I wasn't as interested in camping and scouting once I discovered things like welding and electronics and hot rodding.

Reactions: Hendre

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Congratulations Hendre, it’s an impressive accomplishment. I never was tempted to join them however I do see the use of doing so.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store