Any Structural Engineer on Board?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
also add stiffners on all the metal sides....316ss angle.... maybe 2x2x.25 one at the top and one in the middle one each of three sides and along the front top..........i guess i would also frame the opening in the same ss angle...any bowing at the front will cause leaks.....my 2 cents

brettrotchell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2006
Oakville
what a tank size that will be i am in canada to . I think you should call EM plastics you might get better deal on acrylic i got some quote and they seem pretty good . where in canada are you the company i am talking about is in GTA toronto area , hope you are close try them out for qoute

ROSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
connecticut
EXPANSTION FROM THE HEAT OF THE WATER AND LIGHT'S ALSO SCRATCHING FROM SUBSTRATE MITE CAUSE RUST ( SS RUST'S IF SCRATCHED ) SOME ONE HAD A SS TYPE TANK DESIGN ON HERE A FEW MONTH'S AGO ASWELL SOUND'S COOL THOUGH..

BUT DO YOU MAN IF YOU WANNA BUILD IT , YOUR DESIGN LOOK'S STRONG , WEILD'S ARE KEY. A MASTER WEILDER IS NEED FOR THIS JOB.. .. :D

GOOD LUCK..

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
sumofyouguysneedtolearnhowtopuntuatebecauseitletsyourreaderknowwhenyouarechangingideasitmakesitpossibletounderstandwhatyouaretryingtosayotherwiseyourwritingturnsintoagarbledmessthatisundissiferableitisatotal****ingmessthatnoonecanunderstandgotitididntthinkso

Oh, and you might want these too: S , . I . O . I . G ? I ' .

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Oh, I wanted to add that the square tube design would be stronger mechanically. See if a different welder can solve the bowing problem. I am not a very experienced welder, but a good one will know the solution to the problem. It is in the clamping and starting from the center, working outward evenly (and having a second person keeping a torch on the whole thing). What causes the bowing is thermal expansion and cooling. It is enough to drive any novice welder insane. You have to understand it to control it and it is clear that your journeyman does not understand it. Get someone that does. You should not have to pay for his practice.

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
CHOMPERS;525652; said:
Honestly, spend the money on a civil engineer. Take your plans to one with ProE or an equivalent. They will enter it while you are sitting there and it will give you the required dimensions you are looking for. The program will also tell you stresses, strains, deformations, and possibly the integral value of the water pressure. The cost will range from $150 if the guy likes you to $400 if it is a firm with better things to do.
Best advice in the thread. Cost of the consultant is chump change compared to the material and possible design failure costs. He can probably give good advice on the stand requirements at the same time.

Do it right but get it built! :drool: I want to see some pics :popcorn:

dimfer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2005
Canada
Potts050;526142; said:
Best advice in the thread. Cost of the consultant is chump change compared to the material and possible design failure costs. He can probably give good advice on the stand requirements at the same time.

Do it right but get it built! :drool: I want to see some pics :popcorn:
thanks to everybody who replied. I contacted a consulting company that specializes in structural design. they would charge me $ 135.00 per hour. I submitted my drawing to them yesterday, I should get their recommendation on Monday.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Potts050;526138; said:
kidding right?
Lets just keep in mind that inexperienced people read these comments and may take a cavalier attitude towards a very real concern if those who are experienced and respected for giving good advice are quick to do so. :irked:

Darwin usually wins...:D

You must be new to the program...SS framed tanks 40-50 yrs old and before that cast iron. (I still use my 5 SS framed tanks)

Honestly now... there's just as much chance of shock with the water as the SS. You have your tanks equipment plugged into a GFI don't you? I do, and I promote/require it with my customers. And I don't want to hear the about conduction thru fresh water arguement etc.

It's not a cavalier attitude...IT WAS A JOKE! :ROFL:

I still say Canadians have too much time on their hands...;)

But I do thank you for the compliment tho...

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store