Any success mixing Haps/Peacocks/Mbuna?

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
As said, usually a bad idea in the long run. Hap/Peacocks tend to work well. (Assuming your haps aren't so big they see the peacocks as food). And yellow labs are about the only mbuna that never caused a problem.

(Heck I have had zebras take chunks out of haps 3-4 times there size... and the haps couldn't really do anything to stop it from happening.)

And honestly if you do buy haps/peacocks you likely aren't going to want to chance killing/hurting them with cheaper mbuna. If you do try it just be prepaired to buy another tank...

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
i have tried mixing the malawi haps with mbuna-and failed miserably.. just remember if a fish can cram another fish in their mouths in any way-they will! lol..i had a huge male venustus i grew out with a few dozen mbuna, and he was fine for about the first year, then one day started eating his tankmates (the tank was 180 gallons). so he had to be separated.. which sucked because he loved his big tank.

id keep mbuna by themselves.. and you can mix some of the smaller haps with peacocks..

i do have a flameback (Victorian) mixed in with my mbuna, and he seems to be doing good, but i think they overwhelm him sometimes and he gets stressed.

ive also learned that sci. fryeri dont do well mixed with mbuna. i have a male that was stressed to the point of starving, but the female seems to be okay with the mbuna for now. He's a beautiful male, i have him in another tank right now but ill need that tank soon for my sa/ca stock. so i dont know what ill do with him..

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I have been keeping fish for a long time. Haven't done Africans in awhile. Anyways tried to put some mbuna in with my large haps in my 90. I failed miserably. The worst was a 4 inch P.elongotus. He kept harrassing my boreyli constantly. I had a lot of rockwork and plants in this tank and the zebras were impossible with the haps. Even terrorized my 10 inch buccochromis. Only electric yellow were mellow. I guess everyone was right. IT DOES NOT WORK IN THE LONG RUN. Anyone that think it does try a few adult male pseudotropheus elongotus. LOL

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I have only had my tank for a short time now but I have had 0 problems with my mix of the 3. Its all male haps and peacocks but the usual pack of 4 male yellow labs but I also added 7 acei (yellow fin) into the mix. They all get along pretty good. I went with the acei's because there not as agressive, they school a little and interact mostly with them selves, swim in the upper reagons of the tank where as the others are lower, and eat algae off wood and I have a decient amount of wood for them with 800w of MH light. The only bully of the tank is my flavescent....he runs the show but the fins are staying in tact so far. Those are the only ones I would mix.

mikem2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2009
Aviemore
jhutch;2320961; said:
I have mixed mbuna and haps, haps and peacocks, and mbuna and peacocks. The mbuna and peacocks was a mistake as I lost most of my peacocks. The mbuna and haps was a good mix because the haps were to big to really be bothered by the attempts of the mbuna to harass them. I still have a tank with haps and peacocks mixed and they are doing great.

:iagree::mwave::clap

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store