Any theories on why scombs generally die after reaching 12" in captivity?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Anybody monitor dissolved oxygen content of the water? Could be too low of oxygen content.

Anybody feed a strict live fish diet like they'd eat in the wild? Could be diet.

Anybody keeping them in low PH/low conductivity #s like they are used to in the wild? Could be water. It would take almost pure RO to hold conductivity numbers as low as what the Amazon is.

Want to rule some of this stuff out then you'll need to monitor water numbers......

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I can say oxygen was not the problem in my case.
I have a big plate with an air pump to generate oxygen and it runs all the time.
In my tank is a very nice current and the water has 28 degrees.
He went better every day in the hospital tank.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I can say oxygen was not the problem in my case.
I have a big plate with an air pump to generate oxygen and it runs all the time.
In my tank is a very nice current and the water has 28 degrees.
He went better every day in the hospital tank.
Do you monitor oxygen levels? HOW do you know it wasn't a problem? Just cause we put bubbles in our tank doesn't mean oxygen content is the same as it is in the wild.

The problem is proving assumptions.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I didnt monitor the oxygen level.
I am sure that there was enough oxygen in the water because of the reasons i wrote in my last post.
As he was in the hospital tank he went better every day and there are no bubbles and current (surface movement).
So i guess when he is getting better it couldnt be the oxygen.

silly_xp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Byram, NJ
I wonder if someone started cooling the water down at the 10" mark it would help because cooler water holds more oxygen plus if they are dying of hormones it could cause breeding possibly

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I didnt monitor the oxygen level.
I am sure that there was enough oxygen in the water because of the reasons i wrote in my last post.
As he was in the hospital tank he went better every day and there are no bubbles and current (surface movement).
So i guess when he is getting better it couldnt be the oxygen.
How big is your fish?

Once again you say you're sure but you don't know cause you don't monitor it. Who says any of us have enough?

IF oxygen content is what kills these fish when they get bigger (the whole not getting past 12" thing that started this thread) then nobody will probably ever figure it out, we're all to busy being "sure" about what we think we know but in reality is just an assumption cause we aren't able to prove it cause it's cheaper to assume then to monitor.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
The fish is about 5 inches and i have a group of 6 fishes the same size.
The other fishes are fine .
It was one scomb that accept dead food.
By the way , one scomb accept chichlid sticks.
For me its not because of the price to monitor water parameters
its just because of the time i didnt have.(i do monitor but only if there is a problem)
It would be great if anybody have the money and the time to monitor water parameters.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
It's because I haven't kept one yet.:) One of days when I get bored I will grow one out for everyone and we will see it thrive and if they grow past 12" I will do that for you too. I have my theory that I will keep to myself to avoid arguements. I figured out the armatus problem and I should see mine hit 3' no problem.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
It's because I haven't kept one yet. One of days I will grow one out for everyone and we will see it thrive and if they grow past 12" I will do that for you too. I have my theory that I will keep to myself to avoid arguements. I figured out the armatus problem and I should see mine hit 3' no problem.
Sounds like a great plan I'm curious to see how it goes and looking forward to updates on your army. I know someone who has a big scomb might buy it from him and try it. Pm me your theory if u don't want to announce it I want to hear everybody's especially yours.Don't know why people are arguing over theories, isn't this is supposed to be a discussion and people should have open minds about things?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I saw a vid on YouTube of a few scombs in a public aquarium that were supposedly around 14". I wonder if they were caught that size or if the aquarium figured out a way to grow them out that big

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store