Anyone doing Native Coldwater Marine?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I posted this in General Salt, ut I think this might be a better place.
Does anyone know where to get coldwater marine info? I see a few people with awesome tanks but can't find useful info.
I live in Rockland, NY, just north of NYC 10 minutes from the Hudson River and 45 from Long Island Sound. I would like to know what I can keep from these bodies of water and how. I would keep the tank outside, but don't need to worry about freezing or heat- solar water heaters and insulation are effective and I can put my sump in a pit below the frost line I probably could keep the tank at 40-70 F year round. I can build a tank, but would rather use the 90 I already have. I really want a reef and I like gooseneck barnacles and I think this is my chance. There are many fish and inverts (lumpsuckers!) around here just as interesting or better than the tropicals at my lfs. i don't want to do anything harmful or illegal though. I was supposed to set up a 90 gal mbuna tank this winter break, but due to space considerations now have a 55 gal livebearer tank with diy co2, so I now have a 90 gal & pumps & a skimmer & stuff from craigslist that was supposed to go to the mbuna tank.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
U should probably get a bigger volume of water first to help keep the temps from swinging to fast.
Barnacles need several doses of brineshrimp or similar a day.
There are a number of cool creatures u can keep,although a lot of cool water saltwaterfish are rarely kept,ill let someone with more info in this area help u along further but in the meantime fish such as greenling,cunner and rockfish seem cool.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I know there are e lot of cool stuff & maybe I'll be able to even put the tank in the basement and pump the water out of the house and below the frontline to chill it a chiller big enough would cost too much to buy and run. I really want to do something like this but cannot find any info there is a Facebook page for a company called coldwater marine, so I know there are other people I just can't find any info.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Want a cheap chiller?get a bunch of chemical free thermoses,fill em with water ,put them in the freezer and add as needed

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Thanks, but I have a solution to this .The frostline where I live is 3 1/2 ft (1m) deep. free cold water! 55F all year round all I gatta do is dig a hole and run a pump. What I need help with is how to catch/buy stock and how to care for them.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I live near the ocean in southern NC, I've kept and even bred several native fishes. Cold water is not as important as water movement and oxygen levels. In the springtime I used to use a plankton net to catch lots of larvae and managed to raise various crabs and invertebrates that way as well.

I can find lots of echinoderms, odd fish, and even a couple species of caulerpa. We even get stray tropicals from damselfish to angel fish. There is a large population of lionfish established here as well...

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I have kept a bunch. I will post some pictures later. For a 90 I would do some mummichogs, killis, pipefish, silversides and gobies. American eels are pretty cool. You can use a minnow trap or dip net. We have some cool looking sponges and anemones in the north east. There is a place called Gulf of Maine that sells north eastern live stock.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for the info. I will hopefully start setting up when summer break comes. I will look into this Gulf of Maine place. Does anyone have info on stuff like compatibility & care requirements? How much and what kind filter, gph, food, light etc.? If I am really going to do this, I need to know what to be ready for & how to handle it.

By the way, cu455, do you have a Buick? My grandmother has a 1973 Le Sabre factory ordered with a 455 and ts her pride and joy. She still drives it pretty regularly, doesn't even have historic insurance on it.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
No Buick. I am pretty sure cold marine isn't selling anymore. The owner A AquaticEngineer is a member here but I am not sure how active he is.

The equipment depends on what your plans are. Are you going to have photosynthetic stuff like algae? If you are getting fish from a bay you will be fine with room temp? I would keep is simple with a HOB filter or canister. Add a wave maker or 2 for good flow.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks, but I have a solution to this .The frostline where I live is 3 1/2 ft (1m) deep. free cold water! 55F all year round all I gatta do is dig a hole and run a pump. What I need help with is how to catch/buy stock and how to care for them.
A good Dip net,fishtraps or small barbless hooks all work to catch fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store