Anyone else keep Sumo Loaches?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I have never come across them here. If I had, I would have had some already. Do you have any videos of them?

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
Sumo Loaches are unusual in the fact that they prefer to be solitary. If you don't have like 10 or more, they will probably kill each other if not given a lot of space. (I have 2 2in guys in my 55 gallon and they still fight sometimes)

• Wow
Reactions: fishguy1978

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I have had five for about three years now and I love them. I have never seen any aggression out of them though they don`t stack like other loaches. Mine are in a 125 hillstream tank and spend much of their time out of sight. They come out as soon as food hits the water. I wish they got a little bigger than they do but there`s nothing to be done about that.

I had hoped they would spawn but they share their tank with a bunch of barbs so not much chance of that. There is just no way eggs would survive to hatch. Great little fish.

Reactions: Balistik928

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
I have had five for about three years now and I love them. I have never seen any aggression out of them though they don`t stack like other loaches. Mine are in a 125 hillstream tank and spend much of their time out of sight. They come out as soon as food hits the water. I wish they got a little bigger than they do but there`s nothing to be done about that.

I had hoped they would spawn but they share their tank with a bunch of barbs so not much chance of that. There is just no way eggs would survive to hatch. Great little fish.
There's one variety, the three banded sumo loach, that gets to a bit over 2 inches long, and another variety that gets to 4 inches. Both of which grow extremely slow. I recently moved some fish over to my 20 gallon. I think I might get some more into the 55

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
I keep six in my 90 gallon community. no issues with other species (tetras, dwarf cichlids, smaller plecos and cory cats), but they tend to be territorial amongst themselves. no damage done, just posturing and chasing around the flower pots and rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store