Anyone got crabs?

cartisdm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2008
Virginia
My roommate has a small 10gal in his room with some mollies and he bought one of those small crabs you get at like Petsmart and stuff (I don't know what they're called).

He's pretty cool and seems to have a lot of personality. Can I keep a crab with a senegal and a needlefish? Will he get eaten? They're both about 5''. Are there any special of crabs that would get alone just fine? I looked around MFK but didn't see a whole lot of info on crabs:)

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
that is a funny thread title...
anyway, the senegal will probably eventually eat the crabs at some point.
The fiddler crabs sold at places like petsmart wouldn't work since they need a land portion and are also brackish.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
My roommate got crabs his second year of college. Unfortunately, once he grew tired of them (pretty quickly), he couldn't find anyone to take them off his...hands :naughty:

bigjason12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
yes i admit it, i have crabs

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
im glad im not the only one too notice..

i dont think the combo would work.the crab will need a spot to get out of the water so he wont drown.since you are keeping it in a tank full of water,i assume i just dont really see it happening.

thats if im thinking of the right kind of pet crab.

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
also if its a fiddler crab like stated before it need brackish water and if u keep it in fresh water , it will die in a month or so

cartisdm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2008
Virginia
I'm glad my title sparked the interest I was searching for:). What other types of crabs are there besides the petsmart fiddler crabs? Would floating plants be enough for the guy?

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
there are red crabs and and you would need a brackish setup for the fiddler crab and i do not think floating plants will be enough , you need some land for the crab

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store