Anyone have an albino rainbow shark?

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I got one back on 12-27-14(first one ever) and have on seen it 3-4 times. It always hides. I thought these guys were a little more active.

Just wondering if anyone else has any? I always read they are aggressive with each other, yet they seem to get along with each other in a fish store. Which is true?

I have him in a 75. Should I get a couple more? (I do have lots of hiding places). Would this increase his/their activity?

Thanks

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I always find the red tail black sharks are much more active. But my first little tropical aquarium I had when I was like 13 I had a albino rainbow shark, and he was pretty active. I have read that albino fish are more affected by bright lights and tend to prefer dimmer lighting

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I have a split lighting system and tend to vary the pattern of lighting(sometimes both are on other times only one).

I've had the red tailed before but found they harass my cories.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I was doing some work in the tank yesterday and he came out and swam around for about 15 minutes.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Wonderful, I took a hollow fake holy rock out to clean it slightly. Almost 5 minutes later I noticed the Albino rainbow Shark was hiding in there. I took it and put it in the tank. He swam out and has disappeared again. Gonna have to keep a close eye on the tank.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
The red tail sharks havea stronger more muscular look to them. kind of stocky. the rainbow sharks are a lot more slender but also get about an inch longer. other than that they are pretty much the same down to personal preferences.

the red tails I have had are always constantly swimming around and feeding, I think rainbows are a bit less active

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I've been seeing him every few days now. A little more active but still kind of 'creeps' around. He's tiny...still. Never seen one at 6 inches.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
He's out most of the time now and chases the goldfish and rosys all the time. In fact now it seems a few rosys are missing. Big difference from when I first got him.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I wanted to share this picture without creating a thread for it.

My ARS is nasty to any swimming fish but I've noticed that he leaves the corys alone. I was surprised to see the 2 'sleeping' together like best buds.

20160124_212653.jpg
I had plenty of time to go get a camera.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I got 2 in 2 different tanks cuz I heard they are good clean-up crew and will eat algae sometimes, but they are the same way....skittish, solitary, hiders...the one in my larger tank disappears for weeks at a time. My friend had a RTS inhis aggressive cichld tank and it was always active. I wondered the same thing you are about my ARSs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store