Anyone have issues with finnex heaters???

turbo20v

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
NJ
As the title says I’ve gone through 3 finnex 800 watt titanium heaters in the last year. Everything seems fine then the next they don’t work anymore. I’m at the point where I have a extra one on hand just in case. Anyone having issues with these? Is there a better alternative?

Reactions: FishBeast

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Heaters are a hit or miss. If you search the forum you will see at least one person with an issue with every company out there. I had a finnex and the heater and controllers broke. When I reached out to the company they gave me crap so i tossed them. I also believe their controllers were leaning voltage into my tank.

I personally like aqueon pro in my tank. Reasonable price, very durable and lifetime warranty. I had to two break, sent the receipt to the company and the mailed me two news ones. The one was like two years old. I keep 3 heaters in my 180 linked to a ranco controller. If one breaks the others can handle it.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Oh boy! I just got a pair of those 800w. Just dropped on in the water 20 min. Ago.

I have been using the aquatop titanim for a year. No issues. I hope the switch to finnex does not come back to bight me!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I tried the Finnex titanium one with the outside controller apparatus, it barely lasted 3 months.
I agree with nzafi, I prefer a few lesser wattage heaters to a tank, as opposed to one high wattage one. Because in my experience, heaters mostly fail in the "on" position 1 large one will more easily cook the fish, as opposed to a few smaller ones. If one of say 3 fails "on", hopefully the other thermostats will no fail, and turn off. Much harder to cook fish with the smaller ones in a large tank.

Reactions: Jhay3513

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Sorry to hear that. I've got a couple of them... so far so good. What's the warranty on them? I like these because there is no element switch that can get stuck on. If the temp gets too high, the controller cuts power.

turbo20v

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
NJ
I think the main issue is with the controllers I haven’t had any problems with their elements. Even when they do work the temp is always a couple degrees off. I ordered a Ranco controller I’m done with finnex heaters.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
+1 on the ranco controller. Never have to worry about a faulty heater frying my fish. Worse case water cools off a little bit and the heater is replaced after noticing the temp dropping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store