Anyone heard of and/or used "JET BLACK AQUARIUM SAND"

er5reni

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2008
Cincinnati
sold by Specialty Grit Co. Would this be a good size for Cichlids?

SIZE = SPECIALTY SAND GRANULES 1/20"

MATERIAL = SPECIALTY BLACK SAND GRANULES
All materials are clean, durable, hard, opaque, less than 0.5% weight by moisture, free of deleterious materials and excessive fines. These materials through the highest standards of quality control are kiln dried, screened & graded for size accuracy. Sieve analysis or any other information is available upon request. In addition to many other purposes or uses most every single item is located in the following areas:

Construction Supply
Aquarium Rock
Potted Plant Decor
Decorative Indoor Stone
Aqua Substrate
Landscape Material
Decorative Outdoor Rock

247Plants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
Long Beach CA
got a link?

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
1/20" !! That's very fine sand! Most black sand comes from the mining industry. It is a remnant. The only thing you have to be careful of is that it can be sharp as it is not polished round by water in a river or the ocean. A friend of mine just got a Super Sack full that fits your description. Pretty stuff, but very fine with coarse edges.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
Don't waste your money on "aquarium sand" use 3M colorquartz. It runs about $20-25 per 50lb. bag and it comes in any color you want. Theres a s-grade (small particles) and a t-grade (large particles.) Everybody suggests the t-grade but my local dealer didn't have the it in the middle of winter so I had to get the s-grade and it works fine, just as good if not better than any "aquarium sand." Here is a product link http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ColorQuartz/HomePage/Products/Crystals/

they mix it in with their grout on the bottom of pools for color/texture I think but its 100% aquarium safe. Here are soem pictures of it in my tank.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan

Rawimpact

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2008
Buena Park, CA
Thank you Camphilophus, I found that this place has it for Southern California:

APC Pools (562) 572-5329
P.O. BOX 1656
La Mirada CA 90637
Applicator - Pools - New, Remodel

I am suppose to be getting a quote within the hour, so i'll let you people know the rates.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
mine was $27 a bag in the middle of winter but the guy basically delivered it to me on his way home. I know I could get it for $24 now. In your area I'd say $22-23 should be the average. There is probably a ton of businesses who carry it around you.

Rawimpact

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2008
Buena Park, CA
The guy said 17 dollars for 50 lbs, im going to go make the trip, so ill be back and make sure it's at that price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store