Anyone in the states have a snake head before they were banned?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello I was wondering if anyone here owned a snake head before they were banned my dad had one in the 80s i think but he does not remember what type
he had it in a 125g with two RBP
In the 80's the Red line Snakehead Channa Micropeltes was a very common species at that time. I remember my Mother having a African Snakehead they were rare.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I had both Red Lined and african back in the late 80's.....cool fish. They both jumped the tank as I recall but were cool fish. I think my Lenticulata is simular in behavior outside of eating......The snakeheads were a terror during feeding time.

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
The funny thing about peoples fears of snakeheads eating all of the bass on the east coast is that those same bass themselves aren't even native to the area. All these years later snakeheads continue to show no negative impacts on their environments while states continue to stock rainbow trout, brown trout and largemouth bass outside their native ranges that are hybridizing and eating species to extinction.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Wow lots of people have had snakeheads before and here I thought snakeheads have been banned earlier than 1980s. If even less did I think some of you guys had african snakehead which are pretty rare.

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Wow lots of people have had snakeheads before and here I thought snakeheads have been banned earlier than 1980s. If even less did I think some of you guys had african snakehead which are pretty rare.
They were banned in 2002 after mass media hysteria over some "frankenfish" they found in a pond in Maryland. Just another example of the medias lovely contributions to our society. This article has a lot of information in it. https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/super-bass-aka-snakeheads/378545

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
I find it interesting to note the reason why snakeheads were banned vs. some arowanas. In the case of arowanas, although the claim is made that they are "endangered', the real reason for their being banned is money. One way to ensure a fish species is NOT endangered is to place it in the aquarium hobby.
That actually depends on the species. The aquarium trade has had a negative impact on several saltwater species. The key to this is if they are able to be captive bred and if there is any demand for them.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
The funny thing about peoples fears of snakeheads eating all of the bass on the east coast is that those same bass themselves aren't even native to the area. All these years later snakeheads continue to show no negative impacts on their environments while states continue to stock rainbow trout, brown trout and largemouth bass outside their native ranges that are hybridizing and eating species to extinction.
People do similar here, make a huge deal about how they care about the waterways and things that effect trout populations. Uhhh...Trout are introduced, they eat the endangered native fish like inanga, kokopu, bullies, galaxias. "What are those?"

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store