Anyone Interesting in your family tree?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I saw hacksaw ridge recently, very graphic once the war scenes start, apocalypse now was on tv last night but i didnt watch it as the 3 hour length is too much.

Threads going off topic is the way it works in the lounge, I remember the facebook is evil thread ending up talking about the best sandwhiches somehow. Its amusing to see the threads take on alife of their own.

This was a good idea for a thread though, something sort of on topic is a news story I saw the other day about the indiam hindu caste system. I dont really understand how it works but whatever caste you were born into sets up your life , social status and job opportunities. The story was about the lowest caste and how all they were allowed to do was clean sewers and toilets. Its disgusting work and sad that a kid born into the caste has so little options. If they were on this thread they would be able to trace back 200 years of their relatives cleaning toilets and blocked sewers by hand with no protective gear, if nothing changes there then thats all their kids and their kids kids will be allowed to do too.
Since we were talking about WW1, I highly recommend "they shall not grow old". It is a documentary, covers a lot of what we were talking about, specifically the british commandos and their roles in post war UK. They do some pretty nifty visual effects to render some of the old greyscale footage into a high resolution, ultra realistic format.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Threads going off topic is the way it works in the lounge, I remember the facebook is evil thread ending up talking about the best sandwhiches somehow.
That one's easy. Best sandwich of all time?...plain old cheese and pickle, hmmm. And another good one? If i'm going out on a particularly long ride on the bike I pre mix banana, peanut butter and honey in a small bowl, mash it all up, and put that on a butty and eat that an hour before riding. That has one purpose only, to fuel my fine tuned engine lol, and it tastes great too.

Since we were talking about WW1, I highly recommend "they shall not grow old". It is a documentary, covers a lot of what we were talking about, specifically the british commandos and their roles in post war UK. They do some pretty nifty visual effects to render some of the old greyscale footage into a high resolution, ultra realistic format.
Yeah I watched this a few months ago. Brilliant. You'd never guess the original footage which they remastered was over 100 years old!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I found something else interesting regarding that branch of my family tree today,
My great great great grandfathers niece was an important member of the french resistance who was tortured and killed by the Gestapo.
She was also a golfer and there is a trophy in her name still.

Once you pull at the strings everything unthreads lol.

I remember my grandfather always watching WW1 & 2 documentaries. He served in the RAF after the war but he was always deeply interested in the topic.
He has been dead for quite a while now so he never got to see all of this beautifully remastered and recolored footage.

The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow
I knew a girl in College when I lived in England that grew up in Chile and she was 100% british.
I also know someone who grew up in Venezuela but has a Scottish father that was working Oil & gas there.

I can't even imagine a town named after a relative. that's crazy.
Do you think you could be honorary mayor for a day?

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I found something else interesting regarding that branch of my family tree today,
My great great great grandfathers niece was an important member of the french resistance who was tortured and killed by the Gestapo.
She was also a golfer and there is a trophy in her name still.

Once you pull at the strings everything unthreads lol.

I remember my grandfather always watching WW1 & 2 documentaries. He served in the RAF after the war but he was always deeply interested in the topic.
He has been dead for quite a while now so he never got to see all of this beautifully remastered and recolored footage.

The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow
I knew a girl in College when I lived in England that grew up in Chile and she was 100% british.
I also know someone who grew up in Venezuela but has a Scottish father that was working Oil & gas there.

I can't even imagine a town named after a relative. that's crazy.
Do you think you could be honorary mayor for a day?
same with my mom. Her mom was Irish, dad was Peruvian Scottish, and she was born in Brazil and lived there most of her life

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Both of my great grandfathers on my mom’s side fought in WW2. I don’t know much about my grandmother’s father. My grandfather’s father was in the Air Force. He was stationed in Alaska and flew in a B-24. He had a brief appearance in the documentary “Report from the Aleutians.”

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store