Anyone into strength sports?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Anyone on MFK into powerlifting, strongman, bodybuilding?
I've been really getting into it the past two years, started in powerlifting and pretty much phasing it out now in favor of strongman. I've got a 750 raw total at 113 lbs BW, hoping to join the 1000 lb club by the end of 2020 (equipped).
My main goal for 2020 is to pull 500 under strongman rules (if I can do this, hopefully that will put me in the 1000 lb club at a pretty low bodyweight). I'd also like to be familiar enough to compete as a lightweight strongman by the end of the year - I doubt I'll be taking home any wins, but you never know :)

Anyone else here into any kind of strength sports?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Awsome man! Good job on the lifts! Was big into bpdybuding until some injuries... just getting back into now... muscle memory should serve me well
You'll get it man. Coming back always sucks, luckily I've only had one injury when I had a minor hip flexor tear a few months ago. Took my deadlift down to about 265 and luckily only took around a month to get back up to 330 on a stiff bar. Haven't hit a max on a deadlift bar yet but I am guessing I could pull about 345 raw.
My partner and I are going into a Russian strength and mass building program right now for the rest of 2019 - which should be fun. I am modifying it a bit, adding a day with strongman implements for conditioning and replacing back squats with front squats. Should be intense, lol

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
You'll get it man. Coming back always sucks, luckily I've only had one injury when I had a minor hip flexor tear a few months ago. Took my deadlift down to about 265 and luckily only took around a month to get back up to 330 on a stiff bar. Haven't hit a max on a deadlift bar yet but I am guessing I could pull about 345 raw.
My partner and I are going into a Russian strength and mass building program right now for the rest of 2019 - which should be fun. I am modifying it a bit, adding a day with strongman implements for conditioning and replacing back squats with front squats. Should be intense, lol
That's a great DL for your weight... what is your height? I loved all the big compounds when I first got into it.. but have bad sciatic problems so I sont do any deadlifts and just very light squats now... had some nerve damage from a trap injury a year ago and that ended the gym for me until 2 months ago lol...

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
That's a great DL for your weight... what is your height? I loved all the big compounds when I first got into it.. but have bad sciatic problems so I sont do any deadlifts and just very light squats now... had some nerve damage from a trap injury a year ago and that ended the gym for me until 2 months ago lol...
I'm 5'4", won't be getting much taller than that lol. Maybe could squeeze out another half inch and get to 5'5" but that's all I've got.
As far as the deads and squats, if you get back into them invest in a good belt. Not the cheapo thin leather ones on Amazon, get a real belt. I have a lever belt from Inzer that was $90 I believe, and I plan to lift with that belt for the rest of my career. Absolute best investment I have made.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I'm 5'4", won't be getting much taller than that lol. Maybe could squeeze out another half inch and get to 5'5" but that's all I've got.
As far as the deads and squats, if you get back into them invest in a good belt. Not the cheapo thin leather ones on Amazon, get a real belt. I have a lever belt from Inzer that was $90 I believe, and I plan to lift with that belt for the rest of my career. Absolute best investment I have made.
Have a belt... injuries are far along from years of physical labour and stupidity ?
What weight do you plan on competing at? Sorry maybe you already said... gear or no gear?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Awsome man! Good job on the lifts! Was big into bpdybuding until some injuries... just getting back into now... muscle memory should serve me well
I have been working out and lifting weights off and on for years.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Have a belt... injuries are far along from years of physical labour and stupidity ?
What weight do you plan on competing at? Sorry maybe you already said... gear or no gear?
I'll compete at whatever weight I can comfortably get up to and maintain. My dad is my height and is very comfortable at 165, and looking at pics I am filling out exactly like he did - so I am guessing around 165.
One of my biggest goals for my lifetime (aside from a 700 lb deadlift in a suit/straps) is to be able to display a first place trophy for a national powerlifting meet, strongman competition, and bodybuilding competition alongside one another. The trifecta if you will :)

Lightweight strongmen are 175 lbs and under, so I will likely compete bulk to 170 or so for strongman comps.
My powerlifting class would be 75 kg or 165 exactly, so I will compete around there. I have the option to cut to 148-149 for a lower weight class, or I would be able to get all the way up to 182 the next class up. Again though based on genetics, 165 will likely be my comfortable weight.
For bodybuilding, the middleweight class is 157-176 lbs so I will have plenty of room to move around. This is a sport where it is beneficial to bulk to the top of your class, even if it's uncomfortable, so I would likely compete at a lean 170 or so.

This is all just planning though, lol. 113 was on a cut so I could win my recent comp, I walk around at about 120 comfortably now. Especially in the next two months, I will bulk heavily. Hopefully keeping body fat below 10% the entire time (I sit at 9.1% right now).

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I'll compete at whatever weight I can comfortably get up to and maintain. My dad is my height and is very comfortable at 165, and looking at pics I am filling out exactly like he did - so I am guessing around 165.
One of my biggest goals for my lifetime (aside from a 700 lb deadlift in a suit/straps) is to be able to display a first place trophy for a national powerlifting meet, strongman competition, and bodybuilding competition alongside one another. The trifecta if you will :)

Lightweight strongmen are 175 lbs and under, so I will likely compete bulk to 170 or so for strongman comps.
My powerlifting class would be 75 kg or 165 exactly, so I will compete around there. I have the option to cut to 148-149 for a lower weight class, or I would be able to get all the way up to 182 the next class up. Again though based on genetics, 165 will likely be my comfortable weight.
For bodybuilding, the middleweight class is 157-176 lbs so I will have plenty of room to move around. This is a sport where it is beneficial to bulk to the top of your class, even if it's uncomfortable, so I would likely compete at a lean 170 or so.

This is all just planning though, lol. 113 was on a cut so I could win my recent comp, I walk around at about 120 comfortably now. Especially in the next two months, I will bulk heavily. Hopefully keeping body fat below 10% the entire time (I sit at 9.1% right now).
Ah I see! Like Larry wheels! If you know who that is anyways... does all 3 like you said above and is great at all of them... I was always very very skinny growing up.. the hardest but most rewarding part for me when I started is bulking up... seeing the scale move up and up and up... I gained 50 lbs my first year... but was around 15% bf.. good luck to you sir!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Ah I see! Like Larry wheels! If you know who that is anyways... does all 3 like you said above and is great at all of them... I was always very very skinny growing up.. the hardest but most rewarding part for me when I started is bulking up... seeing the scale move up and up and up... I gained 50 lbs my first year... but was around 15% bf.. good luck to you sir!
Thanks a ton!

Haha yeah, I know who Larry Wheels is, crazy guy. He's on steroids though, something I doubt I will do. I can honestly say I won't completely rule out steroids in my lifetime, but for me they are more work than they're worth. And USAPL is drug tested so..... there's that.
I am the same way, so was my dad - very skinny growing up. I agree though, bulking is by far the most rewarding part. Seeing my lifts go up is cool but the physique changes are another level of accomplishment. You can buy almost anything you want, but you can't buy a good body.
I wouldn't mind gaining 50 lbs in a year, lol. I will take whatever I can get, but ideally I'll keep body fat at 10 or below. I wouldn't mind getting to 15 and cutting, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store