Anyone keep Mahseer?

leo C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hong Kong SAR, China
Hi guys,

Some awesome fishes you have there!

I'm new here and just got into mahseer couple months ago. I'm keeping 6 specimens from 3" to 10" in length with uncertained ID, cuz they're just labelled as red, blue and green kelah in lfs without further information as these're not common seen in HK.

Here's some pics of my fishes:

These 2 were labelled as red kelah in lfs, and they are about 5 & 6". I think that they might be Neolissochilus hexagonolepis.

I bought this 3" little guy couple weeks ago which was also labelled as red kelah, but it seems to have brighter colouration than the above 2.

I have 2 bluish one which were labelled as blue kelah, and they're mow 5" in length.

The bluish one challenging the reddish.

At last, this fellow was labelled as green kelah, and now it is about 10" in length.

It would be appreciated that you experts can provide their real ID, thanks in advance!

Regards
Leo

andregurov

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
future wetlands, Louisiana
I don't know anything about their IDs - although your first does look to me to be a copper mahseer (N. hexagonalepis) - but is that a big Bangana lurking in the background of one of those shots? :)

leo C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hong Kong SAR, China
andregurov;3520814; said:
I don't know anything about their IDs - although your first does look to me to be a copper mahseer (N. hexagonalepis) - but is that a big Bangana lurking in the background of one of those shots? :)
Thanks for your reply!
Do you mean the unicorn looking one in the sixth pic?

aqua-nepz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Among the fish in my tanks.
Wow! Didn't know that you guys keep these fish in captive till now.In our country we have several species of this fish in our rivers.I've seen this fish growing up to 35-40kgs.I don't know t he actual weight it grows up to but it is based on the fish that i've seen.And once I caught 15kgs in my fishing rod.

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
aqua-nepz;3523339; said:
Wow! Didn't know that you guys keep these fish in captive till now.In our country we have several species of this fish in our rivers.I've seen this fish growing up to 35-40kgs.I don't know t he actual weight it grows up to but it is based on the fish that i've seen.And once I caught 15kgs in my fishing rod.

well, just so u know... people in US do sometimes pay high $$ for em xD ... so take good care of em and dont let em extinct in the wild

b-man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
US
b-man;3291381; said:
just thought i'll share some pics of a malay red mahseer.

bump, a few ppl have been asking about these pics. these were import by a friend of mine for personal use (his indoor pond). you need special permits by the malay govt to export tor/masheers. FYI we may do another import come spring, so if your interested please PM me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store