Anyone keep RES turtle's with their cichlids?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I don’t know about res, but I have gt fry (1”-3”) in with my helmeted turtle. He hasn’t eaten anyone, but a few have nipped fins. I also have a common pleco in with him and he doesn’t touch him.

I think with more hiding spots I’d probably see less nipped fins.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
I don’t know about res, but I have gt fry (1”-3”) in with my helmeted turtle. He hasn’t eaten anyone, but a few have nipped fins. I also have a common pleco in with him and he doesn’t touch him.

I think with more hiding spots I’d probably see less nipped fins.

cool thanks. cool open to hearing about any turtle/fish combo in case anyone else chimes in. Never even heard of a helmeted turtle until you mentioned looks interesting. What size tank do yo have them in?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
cool thanks. cool open to hearing about any turtle/fish combo in case anyone else chimes in. Never even heard of a helmeted turtle until you mentioned looks interesting. What size tank do yo have them in?
He is in a 65g. At first I was worried it would be too deep for him, but he does just fine. I had him in a 40g when I first got him. I should add that he is only 4 1/2” long.

Now I have my baby softshell in the 40g with my giant danio fry. I’ve only seen one danio with a nipped tail. Otherwise he seems to leave them alone. They are pretty fast.

With turtles it’s a gamble. They can do just fine with tank mates, or they can be nippy. I’d first try out fish you won’t be disappointed if they get eaten. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but it’s the only way to see how they will handle tank mates. And it will be harder to have fish with a turtle that’s been accustom to live food.
My helmeted turtle did a lot of chasing at first since the store gave him feeder fish, but I’ve never seen my softy chase fish. He has been pellet/frozen food fed since a hatchling. Not saying his natural instincts don’t kick in;) I’m pretty sure that’s why the one baby was missing a little bit of it’s tail.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
He is in a 65g. At first I was worried it would be too deep for him, but he does just fine. I had him in a 40g when I first got him. I should add that he is only 4 1/2” long.

Now I have my baby softshell in the 40g with my giant danio fry. I’ve only seen one danio with a nipped tail. Otherwise he seems to leave them alone. They are pretty fast.

With turtles it’s a gamble. They can do just fine with tank mates, or they can be nippy. I’d first try out fish you won’t be disappointed if they get eaten. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but it’s the only way to see how they will handle tank mates. And it will be harder to have fish with a turtle that’s been accustom to live food.
My helmeted turtle did a lot of chasing at first since the store gave him feeder fish, but I’ve never seen my softy chase fish. He has been pellet/frozen food fed since a hatchling. Not saying his natural instincts don’t kick in;) I’m pretty sure that’s why the one baby was missing a little bit of it’s tail.
Right on. My only concern is I have two HOB filters on both ends of the 75 gallon that are creating a lot of current. I want to make sure he can swim to his basking area. Another concern is more so on the fish side. I have a 8 inch umbee who I'm pretty sure will be aggressive towards my 7 inch RES turtle.

The funny part is I have my RES in a smaller tank right now with 2 Columbian tetras and a baby jaguar cichlid. They are all too fast and smart for him to eat. I'm looking to move the RES with the Umbee while adding some more cichlids to the 75 gallon to spread out the umbee's aggression which may not work either. Probably best to leave the umbee and the turtle alone first.

Brainstorming at this point. The umbee will not be in this tank for much longer anyhow.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Right on. My only concern is I have two HOB filters on both ends of the 75 gallon that are creating a lot of current. I want to make sure he can swim to his basking area. Another concern is more so on the fish side. I have a 8 inch umbee who I'm pretty sure will be aggressive towards my 7 inch RES turtle.

The funny part is I have my RES in a smaller tank right now with 2 Columbian tetras and a baby jaguar cichlid. They are all too fast and smart for him to eat. I'm looking to move the RES with the Umbee while adding some more cichlids to the 75 gallon to spread out the umbee's aggression which may not work either. Probably best to leave the umbee and the turtle alone first.

Brainstorming at this point. The umbee will not be in this tank for much longer anyhow.
I wouldn’t worry too much about current. I have two hob filters as well. My guy actually like sitting right under the outflow. Lol
Where do you plan on putting the basking spot?

I’ve never kept an umbee so don’t know what the aggression would be like. Just watch them very carefully at first. I doubt the res will pick on him. But like you said, the umbee could be a problem.

Then again, if the umbee will be moved soon you could just wait. Then give the res the 75 and move his current fish buddies with him.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
I wouldn’t worry too much about current. I have two hob filters as well. My guy actually like sitting right under the outflow. Lol
Where do you plan on putting the basking spot?

I’ve never kept an umbee so don’t know what the aggression would be like. Just watch them very carefully at first. I doubt the res will pick on him. But like you said, the umbee could be a problem.

Then again, if the umbee will be moved soon you could just wait. Then give the res the 75 and move his current fish buddies with him.

Umbee's are highly aggressive. I got him and the baby jag together but they had other tankmates in their tank. After a week of owning the umbee/jag which were alone in the 75 the umbee tried to kill the jag so it's beat up now.

My plan is to take the Umbee out of the tank for a bit and rearrange the tank and then put the turtle in. The umbee will likely be in shock and less aggressive at first. We'll see how it plays out.

I just ordered a zoomed large turtle dock. I have a canopy that I'm going to install on the 75 and planned on putting the dock right on top of the middle brace of the tank. Not sure if that will work or if not I'll just use the suction cups it comes with and place it somewhere in the middle of the tank under the brace.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Umbee's are highly aggressive. I got him and the baby jag together but they had other tankmates in their tank. After a week of owning the umbee/jag which were alone in the 75 the umbee tried to kill the jag so it's beat up now.

My plan is to take the Umbee out of the tank for a bit and rearrange the tank and then put the turtle in. The umbee will likely be in shock and less aggressive at first. We'll see how it plays out.

I just ordered a zoomed large turtle dock. I have a canopy that I'm going to install on the 75 and planned on putting the dock right on top of the middle brace of the tank. Not sure if that will work or if not I'll just use the suction cups it comes with and place it somewhere in the middle of the tank under the brace.
That’s the same dock I have for my guy. I’m not sure how it would work on the middle brace, but playing around with it I’m sure you could work something out.
Mine is off to the side up against the front glass. Then I made a glass enclosure to fit ontop of the tank and used a wire topper (10g screen lid) to sit the lights on top of it. So far that has been working really well.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
That’s the same dock I have for my guy. I’m not sure how it would work on the middle brace, but playing around with it I’m sure you could work something out.
Mine is off to the side up against the front glass. Then I made a glass enclosure to fit ontop of the tank and used a wire topper (10g screen lid) to sit the lights on top of it. So far that has been working really well.
Sounds pretty cool! Any pics or videos? Glad to hear this dock is working well for you. I was going to buy egg crate and create a ramp/dock but this dock was only 27 bucks so thought I'd give it a shot.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Sounds pretty cool! Any pics or videos? Glad to hear this dock is working well for you. I was going to buy egg crate and create a ramp/dock but this dock was only 27 bucks so thought I'd give it a shot.
I don’t have any videos, but I have a picture.
397793B0-9EE6-4983-A9E1-9766CF3C1AF4.jpeg
This was right after I moved him in. It took him a little bit to figure out how to get on his dock. And the water was just a tad too high so the bottom suction cups wouldn’t stay on the glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store