ANYONE KEEPING WHITE BASS OR WHITE PERCH IN THERE TANKS?

GoingCichla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
IN a house
nah there difrent. One stays small other gets a couple pounds. They crossbreed white bass with striped bass to make hybrid stripers for lakes . the whiteperch is a difrent family. But wondering if anyone has them in tanks

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
I worked at a fish hatchery that sometimes carried hybrid striped bass. We would often take a few small ones (under 8" or so) and put them in some of our display tanks (135 gallons). I found them to not do well in tanks at all. When young, they seemed very skittish unless in pretty good sized groups. It took almost nothing to make them stressed to the point of refusing food. Because of this, they didn't stay in the tanks long. We usually rotated in new ones every week or so and gave the other ones a break by moving them back to the big holding tanks. I wouldn't recommend them for a glass tank at all unless it is HUGE, because 1) they get really big, 2) they are really fast and active, and 3) they can be very nervous, so it is better if they can't see everything going on around them. I will say feeding a tank of 1000+ baby stripers is INTENSE. By FAR the most aggressive pellet feeding I have EVER seen

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Would love a video of that! My pacu pond was pretty crazy around feeding time as well.

The perch get a mix of gamefish pellets, fathead minnows, and small worms.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Would love a video of that! My pacu pond was pretty crazy around feeding time as well.
I wish I had gotten a video of it. I don't work there anymore, but I visit all the time. If they get stripers again, I'll try to get a video

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store