anyone know what these are

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Is your tank an open top system???

Coz after thinking about it, now that spring is here, one other possibility is maybe some type of insect laid eggs in your tank and those are the laval stage of whatever insect laid them???

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
Added plastic plants and wood from another tAnk that I brought off someone

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
The planaria probably came from the wood. Tbh almost everyone's aquarium will have either detritus worms, planaria or both which are harmless.
i had them once for like a day.. that transferred from a bundle of plants i
bought but fish ate em all and never saw it again lol. but eventually sold
all the fish in the tank and sold it a couple years after. but ever since then
i hot water bleach dip everything so i never have it now.

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
Thanks for replies, I boiled wood in salt water for 6 hours, but my tank is open top and my fish room is in a summer house at back of garden, my other 7 tanks seem okay, but like you said could have been something that laid them in tank, I took everything out of tank and cleaned it again and done a massive water change and cleaned all the glass sides and bottom and have not feed them for 2 days, see what happens

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
I do use bleach solution to clean 2nd hand tanks and rocks e.t.c,, but never used it on wood iam always worried that bleach will be soaked into wood and very hard to get rid of it by rinsing e.t.c, I know that after many rinses and then letting it dry that the bleach is neutralised, but it still worries me,, lol ,, iam probably worrying about nothing

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Dechlorinator will neutralize the bleach. It doesn't matter that it's wood since where ever the bleach can go, the dechlorinator can go. Put the wood in water, add dechlorinator (triple dose) and let it sit for a while.

Reactions: Demon012 and kno4te

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
While on the topic of wood allot of people say there is only a few types of wood you can use in an aquarium, but I know loads of people that use loads of different types of wood like cherry wood, apple wood e,t,c whats your thoughts on that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store