Anyone know what this slime is and how to remove?

Shark on krak

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
My friend has an outdoor pond and there are some Lilly pads in it. I dug up a couple and washed them off and put it in my tropical/ native 75 gallon aquarium. I have a FluvalSmart light on the tank and the Lilly grew a slimy film on it. I want to add some to my 125 gallon planted tank but was wondering any ways I can remove any hitch hikers on the roots.

72BD3835-6F16-4A74-87C1-2FD23A6C3D65.jpeg

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
ive only had luck moving lillies with very few leaves sprouting from the bulb portion. ive also never had luck putting the bulb under the substrate.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I would say two things -
1- It is a colony of either bacteria or fungal cells, or both. It should not be very long lasting or particularly harmful. However, it is best to remove it, and a piece of airline tubing with a rigid tube at the end may be the easiest way for suction it out.
2- Your photograph is excellent! You were able to capture a great deal of detail on the film, while maintaining near perfect focus on the whole plant.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I have the same thing on my plastic driftwood, and it went away eventually. It is a colony of either bacteria (as of kno4te’s guess), and it is harmless To fish. It will go away. Do not do anything abnormal to the tank. It will go away on its own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store