Anyone know what's up with my EBJD?

pocky

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 3, 2017
That fish needs to be removed immediately IMO. Like duanes has said, I believe EBJD's should be kept in species tanks, they're so fragile.
Immediately would be into a bucket which is arguably worse off for it than being able to sit inside some dense plants. I'll see if I can find arrange something in the next few days.

pocky

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 3, 2017
Yeah so I witnessed the O give him a peck earlier. I guess I have to seperate them. I'll put the EBJD in a 10g shrink tank for now... Anyone in Toronto want to adopt my plump Oscar?

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada
You have been advised in your previous thread that the EBs are (because of line breeding) a very sensitive species, prone to bacterial and fungal infections. If I were to keep them, I would keep them in a special tank, all to themselves where water would be changed daily, food intake would be monitored etc etc. I especially would not keep them with Oscars and plecos, coming from totally different water chemistry (they are also geographically incorrect)
But that aside, even the normal JDs do not do well with other even slightly more aggressive cichlids in nature. I have spent time snorkeling with them in Mexico.
The only places they seem to do well, is where there aren't any other cichlids, only dithering live bearers.
Take the JDs in the cenote below, where Mayaheros uropthalmus dominate, the JDs are torn up and relegated to hidy holes and caves, and their population does not compare.
027 zps4b102ffd
Below in Eden where JDs are the dominant cichlids, they are far healthier.
Eden2

great footage! jealous.

I also posted in the first thread about the EBJDs, I won't repeat the info here. They are extremely fragile, I expect the oscar is hitting him when OP isn't looking. Haven't met an oscar yet who wasn't an ass like that, even when they're little, and even though they're pushovers in the grand scheme of things.

I started work on an EBJD breeding project, they really need to be babysat in safety for a good long time. (and separated immediately from the regular JD fry as soon as you can distinguish them) if anybody knows where I can source some high quality wild JD let me know! (I'm in canada, going and catching them myself is not an easy option unfortunately)

@OP: separate the fish asap if you can. Even just mild harassment (if it isn't worse) is a stressor on the little JD and will weaken him. In my experience small EBJD that are weakened by anything do not make it past the couple months mark.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Could be as simple as the Oscar gives him a chase now and then and the EBJD darted into something and scratched his eye. With a more robust fish, might not be much to worry about without evidence of more serious aggression.

Being a mod on a Cyphotilapia site for many years, I've seen a lot of this, because they're a fish that's susceptible to spooking and darting into things. Normally, to clear up the eye, I'd say keep your water clean (do a water change, clean filters if they need it) and add a low dose of salt (aquarium salt or other form of sodium chloride, dose on the order of a tablespoon per 25-30 gals) and/or a low dose of melafix (like one quarter or one third of their recommended dosage). This is normally effective, and faster than clean water alone.

The problem here is if he's not eating there's a bigger issue than just the eye. Again, with some fish you might hope it's temporary, just stress, etc., but with EBJD it's often the start of a downturn. So, yeah, if I could separate him from the Oscar I'd try and to that.

Not being critical or negative, it's just the reality with EBJD. Beautiful fish, but delicate, especially when they're young.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Yeah so I witnessed the O give him a peck earlier. I guess I have to seperate them. I'll put the EBJD in a 10g shrink tank for now... Anyone in Toronto want to adopt my plump Oscar?
If you want to get rid of the oscar, try LFS or sell on Craig's list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store