Anyone using fake plants with big cichlids?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I just wanted to update and thank everyone for the suggestions. I went to Michael's and while I did find some cool stuff for pretty cheap, I didn't find anything that was tall enough as I wanted.

However I found these aquatic plastic plants on Amazon for $12 ! Pop and couldn't pass them up.

View attachment 1368556

View attachment 1368557
Nice tank! I love that O and creamsicle devil, too. Glad you found some tall plants. You can search on amazon too for "XL" plants or put in a size you want and see what comes up. For sure they have 18" tall I had some of those I mixed in.

The garlands are great too, you can wrap them around a log or repti-vines (the waterproof ones). That's what I use along with live pothos.

How big is that O? And size of tank?

Reactions: SwampFins

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Nice tank! I love that O and creamsicle devil, too. Glad you found some tall plants. You can search on amazon too for "XL" plants or put in a size you want and see what comes up. For sure they have 18" tall I had some of those I mixed in.

The garlands are great too, you can wrap them around a log or repti-vines (the waterproof ones). That's what I use along with live pothos.

How big is that O? And size of tank?
Thank you!

Yea I'm definitely impressed with the quality. I love how easy it is to break lines of sight with these while keeping the tank open for swimming or creating dead spots for debris to collect.

This tank has been a little tricky because nive had to remove almost all hard surfaces to keep the O from hurting himself. He likes to jump when feeding too. Hes about 9-10".

It's a 125g with a sump under.

I've been removing fish here and there as they grow and I see which ones I want to keep long term but so far so good.

Reactions: Jexnell

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
I have this thing I got at Petco or Petsmart a few years ago have been happy with it. I believe it is silk or some kind of refined acrylic or plastic that doesn’t feel much like plastic. Was less than ten bucks if I recall and has some bits of fake brown root to give a more authentic feel.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i used to look for fake plants that i liked the look of but because i replace them every six months or so, i just buy whatever is on the clearance shelf. they end getting shredded anyways.

• Haha

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
i used to look for fake plants that i liked the look of but because i replace them every six months or so, i just buy whatever is on the clearance shelf. they end getting shredded anyways.
yeah the silk plants don't last long for me either, maybe at most 1 year.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
tried silk, it gets shredded, plastic plants last longer look better longer and easier to clean. I went the 3 foot bamboo thing for awhile. just became a pain. eventually dumped all plants fake or other wise for *****en wood. gota love a tank with some *****en wood.

• Haha

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My Oscar trashes whatever plants I give him. First he rips them up and piles them at one end on the rocks and builds a little fort.

Then he amuses himself by ripping the leaves off one by one and clogging my strainer.

All his plants look like they've been run over by a truck.

20181129_212053.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ehh and Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store