Anything Caquetaia!

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I see so many umbees around here but no love for the more manageable smaller growing species.
are they harder to come by or just not popular?

heres one of my Caquetaia Spectabilis about 5-6"

I've never owned an umbee but from videos they seem to have a different personality to Spectabilis.
I currently have two and they are very much like datnioids. Ambush predators first, show little overall aggression and can be shy to take pellet food that doesnt resemble the shape of fish.

This guy doesnt pound the pellets down like an oscar, he stalks a single large log shaped pellet and then swallows it whole, swims away and hides in a cave.

Super interesting species.
A LFS near me has just got a shipment of these in, it's the first time I've ever seen them. I'm currently setting up a new tank and now am sort of considering a pair of them for my 4 foot 120G. Not much info to be found about them, how long have you had yours? How active are they normally? I want something interesting but also something that has personality and/or is active most of the time.
I do like the idea of a decent sized predator that you can keep in a scaped/planted tank. How do yours go with the decor, do they rip it apart or are they happy with a nice scaped scene?

Reactions: Justin Holland

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
A LFS near me has just got a shipment of these in, it's the first time I've ever seen them. I'm currently setting up a new tank and now am sort of considering a pair of them for my 4 foot 120G. Not much info to be found about them, how long have you had yours? How active are they normally? I want something interesting but also something that has personality and/or is active most of the time.
I do like the idea of a decent sized predator that you can keep in a scaped/planted tank. How do yours go with the decor, do they rip it apart or are they happy with a nice scaped scene?
Hey! okay so I purchased both of mine at 1,5" each. One grew much faster than the other and I have since separated them.
I have had mine for probably about 8-10 months, the largest one is currently about 6". They aren't as fast growers as oscars, He was fed a very good varied diet.

Firstly they are ambush predators they need some caves and structures to feel protected, I feed mine fish shaped stick pellets he usually waits for me to drop it in, swims off into a cave to chew it then comes out for more.
Before I moved him into my 4ft 120g he was growing out in a 75 and he hid a lot in the shadow of wood and was not as active.
Since moving him into the 120 he rules the roost and is very peaceful. he doesnt bother any plants and is an ideal peaceful resident of a predatory community.
I just took a few more pictures, excuse the glass not being clean. In the next month or two I will be moving and I'll have to sell all my fish and empty my set ups so I don't have long left with this guy but hes developing into a beautiful fish.

His tankmates are electric blue acaras, green severums, some parrot hybrids of some kind and a triportheus angulatus.
The angulatus looks like a pacù & a hatchetfish had a baby, this was the only one left in the store I've never found others in spite of looking, I have had him for about 3 years now.
Heres a couple pics of his buddies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store