API super ich cure?

angryinsect

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
British Columbia Canada
let me start off by sayin I don't like to use meds in the first place, but one of my clown loaches has started a minor ich outbreak(the other 3 loaches are starting to scratch). is API super ich cure(at a half dose) gonna be safe for the loaches and still get rid of the ick. also wondering if it will have a negitive affect

Cheers,
Jordan

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
raise the temperature and dose aquarium salt

BODYDUB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Killeen
How much salt did you dose and how big is your tank. Loaches don't do well in high concentrations of salt.......

BigUmbeeFan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
nj
Is that with malachite green/formalin as its ingredients ?

If it is good luck getting an answer.

I tried myself.

I did use aquarisol and put my temp at 90.5. That got rid of my ich.

fisheater

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Louisville,ky
Its good last resort stuff.Ive used it when i start to freak out.Works great and have never had a loss.

BigUmbeeFan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
nj
I did kill ich at 90.5 degrees with 1 tablespoon of salt to 5 gallons of water. Supposedly ich can't live over 90 degrees.

Heat is the biggest factor but it also lessens the oxygen.

If you use the ich cure keep temp at 85-86 degrees. No higher.

Ich cure ingredients will also reduce oxygen. Make sure you have plenty of aireation via airstone and or splash from a powerhead filter. Water change 25% every other day with gravel vac. The vac helps lower tomite load and fresh water carries oxygen.

I will say that ich cure med is the best med to kill ich if a med is needed. I had the best sucess with that med in the past.

Keep the fish well fed and strong.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
The main ingredients in "formagreen" mixtures are formalin (thats a nice trade name for formaldehyde, the stuff they use to embalm and preserve dead people) and malachite green (a dye that's been shown to cause cancer in some laboratory cases). It's a harsh med and the theory behind it is you kill the parasite before you damage the fish. I've used it and seen it used effectively in many cases, and I have personally used it with clown loaches and other scaleless fish at half dose. However, I would not recommend it especially for scaleless fish. Also, never combine any formalin med with salt as the combination is very toxic.
My real recommendation for scaleless fish with ick would be quinine. It is safe (ime) for scaleless fish and is an excellent ick med. I have treated tanks with clown loaches with it as well quite successfully, and it is also great for killing salt/heat resistant ick. Ick is becoming heat/salt resistant because it is such a widespread treatment (look how many people recommended it before me) and is becoming less and less effective in the same sense penicillin is now much less effective as an antibiotic. It can still work in a lot of cases, but it doesn't always work, and I prefer to kill external parasites ASAP before they get out of control.
Also remember to keep your water quality high, it's invaluable when having health problems in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store