Apistogramma cacatuoides mature size?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I just picked up some apistogramma cacatuoides from my LFS after years of admiration. Very excited to see these little guys grow and color up. Im curious whether I got a decent ratio of male to female but they're still too young to tell. At what size would they be sexually mature?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I just picked up some apistogramma cacatuoides from my LFS after years of admiration. Very excited to see these little guys grow and color up. Im curious whether I got a decent ratio of male to female but they're still too young to tell. At what size would they be sexually mature?

View attachment 1155850

View attachment 1155851

View attachment 1155852

View attachment 1155853
I love apistos! It's been a while since I have brushed up on them. As long as you have equal male to female ratio or more females then makes you will be ok. IIRC most apistos top out around 3" sometimes 4" absolute MAX. Sorry I am not of more help but there is a lot of good info out there on them.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Thanks. I have been looking them up for weeks. Can't find anywhere where it says the sexual maturity size. Like I see the max size but most if not all fish are sexually mature well before they hit max size. Idk if that's the same for dwarfs but I would imagine so.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Well like most fish they will probably breed well before max size. How big are they now?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
So I'm gunna assume that they will be entering sexual maturity real soon because my largest one seems to be displaying male features.

Not a great pic. But if compared to the earlier pic of him. You can see he's starting to color up more. The spot of color on his tail has grown and become more distinctive. And what you can't tell in the pic is the first few rays on his dorsal fin are extended. Hopefully the other two are females (one didn't make it past the first 24 hours) :(

image.jpeg

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I would just keep an eye on them and make sure he doesnt start getting a little aggressive with the other two. I am sure that you will see some sort of breeding in the next 6 months maybe less. May not be very successful until they are a bit more mature though.

Reactions: bobblehead27

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I'm fine if they're not successful. I mean that'd be awesome if they are but if not that's fine. I really just don't want injuries due to aggression so hopefully the other two are female

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store