Appeal of datnoids?

Dustin3006

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2016
Florida
So datnoids are one of those fish that I don't understand. I've seen them once in person and it was kinda a cool fish but not worth 250 for me. I've also noticed three bar datnoids that go for more money and what not. What gives a datnoids it's value ? And why do you guys love keeping datnoids?

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Different types of dats will have different price tags. 3 bar indos tend to fetch more than 4 bars because they look similar to ST dats that are literally almost impossible to find. And if you do, it'll be thousands of dollars. I've only owned smaller dats and one NTT that I grew to 13". The smaller dats don't really do much for me. But after about 8" or so, they really seem to come out more. Just one of those things I think you need to personally experience to really appreciate.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
It's all just personal preference, nothing more than that really. Peacock bass are pretty popular on this site but I personally don't have any desire to ever keep them either. IMO

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It's like fashion lol
Folks will hype to find and keep them then it will die out with time, like few years back when everyone just talk and try to own a Flowerhorn and proud if you get your hand on a HQ one...

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Fish will worth what ever money you willing to pay for. If you not into Dats, even $50 is not worth your money and time. If you into them ST will worth 3-6K and people still buy them. Its a matter of personal prefference just like any other fish out there.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
It's a matter of personal preference and opinion. Why do you keep the fish that you keep? You like their appearance, and or personality....Well that's some of the same reasons that people keep dats.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I do like the look of the fish and also the way they stalk prey is interesting to watch. They do seem to be a fish that grows on you once owned.

Reactions: Dustin3006
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store