Not open for further replies.

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
sunshinehippy;4081785; said:
Gone from 1.5" to 6" in 5 months!
Wow! The EBJD is the fish that actually inspired me to get into cichlids. The guys who sold me the original rainbows in my picture (the smaller ones) said that I'd get a discount price on his ebjd he had for sale at about 1.5". He was doing fine, until I transfered him from my quarantine to my 40 gallon and then he got ich and died. I'm interested in retrying an EBJD since now my tank is mature and has been set up for about 8 months now. I just don't want to waste another $30 for a 1.5" one and have it lost to ich again, but UV sterilizers are so expensive. Do (did) you use a UV sterilizer on your tank? apparently EBJDs are very sucsceptible to disease until they reach about 3".

sunshinehippy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
London
No UV steriliser. All I did was add ESHA Hexamita cause he had white poo when I got him, kept the water really clean with weekly water changes and fed him a varied diet. This fish has been brilliant from the start. I will add some new pics today on the thread in the media section that's called "Update on my EBJD".

chemicall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
canada
Matt724;4077909; said:
oh, and #10, is that waterspout on the side of your stand plumbed to the tank? That's actually a really intriguing idea, I might try that on my next tank, it would make water changes so much easier. Can you tell me how you did it, I'm really interested.
Yessir you guessed it! it's a brass tap, heh. All I did was drill a hole for it, mount. Then ran a piece of flexible tubing upto the main tank and stuck it in the water(close to bottom of the tank).
It primed easy and acts as a syphon. The syphon stays when I turn the tap off, all I have to do is hook the hose and crank it on. Yes this could drain MOST of my tank, but my tap closes up tight and no kid could possibly open it.....and no one else messes with the tank...

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
sunshinehippy;4084297; said:
No UV steriliser. All I did was add ESHA Hexamita cause he had white poo when I got him, kept the water really clean with weekly water changes and fed him a varied diet. This fish has been brilliant from the start. I will add some new pics today on the thread in the media section that's called "Update on my EBJD".
Oh, cool I'll be looking out for that thread tonight. And yeah, whenever I get new fish, they have white poo. Is that like traveling sickness or something? I'll have to look up what you used, the ESHA Hexamita stuff. That might come in handy next time I buy fish.

chemicall;4084297; said:
Yessir you guessed it! it's a brass tap, heh. All I did was drill a hole for it, mount. Then ran a piece of flexible tubing upto the main tank and stuck it in the water(close to bottom of the tank).
It primed easy and acts as a syphon. The syphon stays when I turn the tap off, all I have to do is hook the hose and crank it on. Yes this could drain MOST of my tank, but my tap closes up tight and no kid could possibly open it.....and no one else messes with the tank....
That's a really smart idea. What I was thinking was (if I had the tools and knowledge of how to even approach a project like this) is to just drill a hole at the bottom of the tank and have a line running up that, maybe a few inches above the water line, cover that up with like a sponge or prefilter material like a grate so fish can't get in, and then have that line go down into the cabinet right into the tap, using probably using like a clear PVC pole going into the tank, as to avoid taking up space and unsightliness and then below use like a flex hose. That's a good Idea, kinda like a corner overflow, but without the corner and the overflow haha.

chemicall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
canada
Matt724;4086339; said:
That's a really smart idea. What I was thinking was (if I had the tools and knowledge of how to even approach a project like this) is to just drill a hole at the bottom of the tank and have a line running up that, maybe a few inches above the water line, cover that up with like a sponge or prefilter material like a grate so fish can't get in, and then have that line go down into the cabinet right into the tap, using probably using like a clear PVC pole going into the tank, as to avoid taking up space and unsightliness and then below use like a flex hose. That's a good Idea, kinda like a corner overflow, but without the corner and the overflow haha.
Good idea, mine takes water out of the tank about an inch away from the bottom, not at the top. That's where I like to take my water from while doing a water change....

MERMAID

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2004
in an aquarium
:headbang2Clearly TANK#13 has the most beautiful, advanced, custom setup!!!!
And sorry, :screwy:I dont understand why Tank#9 is getting so many votes? :screwy:(There are filters & unsightly things showing, nothing very exciting at all?):y220d::y220d:

:bling:TANK#13 I LOVE your beach scene with all the handmade red rocks & driftwood!! I cant believe the detail!! I see the handmade stairwell leading up from the beach too! :shocked:Awesome!(we call it "The Strand" here in southern california) Also love the volleyball net in the middle, so the fish are playing all day ;-) Thats really whimsical & creative! And what a beautiful display of so many different fish all coming out to see you in front!!! Great shot!!! :cheers::clapNo matter what, YOU ARE THE CLEAR WINNER HERE!!!!!!:clap:clapMuch Love from the Mermaid!!!! :hearts::hearts::mwave::mwave::mwave::mr-t:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store