Apure Jelly Catfish Tank Size

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It won't look good once it reaches 2' or exceeds it but this sedentary fish will probably be ok... if and only if the water quality is kept pristine. It would likely require a heavily oversized filter and a continuous drip water change of 100% in a few days to a week... but again we are talking about at least a few years to 5 years out. YMMV.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
It won't look good once it reaches 2' or exceeds it but this sedentary fish will probably be ok... if and only if the water quality is kept pristine. It would likely require a heavily oversized filter and a continuous drip water change of 100% in a few days to a week... but again we are talking about at least a few years to 5 years out. YMMV.
Wow. I saw on planet catfish that they only reach 19” maximum. Let alone 2’+ how common is it for them to reach 2 feet?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow. I saw on planet catfish that they only reach 19” maximum. Let alone 2’+ how common is it for them to reach 2 feet?
Pay attention please that PCF quotes lengths as SL, standard length, from tip of the snout to caudal peduncle, which excludes the tail fin. Tip-to-tip length of a 19" SL apurensis is 23". It takes an average fish 3-5 years to reach this size, while I suspect they can live for several decades at least. Mine hit 2' in 3 years.

Max size on PCF is a collective effort. I was behind the latest upgrade to 19" SL and 23" TL for the apu. If no one photographs their fish with a tape measure next to it, the size likely will never be upgraded. Before my effort, the SL has been listed at 13"or 16" for a decade, if memory serves. Shows you how much we as community care about having the right info at our hand...

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
Pay attention please that PCF quotes lengths as SL, standard length, from tip of the snout to caudal peduncle, which excludes the tail fin. Tip-to-tip length of a 19" SL apurensis is 23". It takes an average fish 3-5 years to reach this size, while I suspect they can live for several decades at least. Mine hit 2' in 3 years.

Max size on PCF is a collective effort. I was behind the latest upgrade to 19" SL and 23" TL for the apu. If no one photographs their fish with a tape measure next to it, the size likely will never be upgraded. Before my effort, the SL has been listed at 13"or 16" for a decade, if memory serves. Shows you how much we as community care about having the right info at our hand...
This is really interesting! Thank you for the information!

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store