Votes: 56 56.0%

• Total voters

lemcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
How about we think up a real test to see which is better

I think everyone will agree that the AC moves more water

So the? Is which has better mech/bio filtration?

Mech filtration test:
Empty 55
Both filters with standard media
Filtrate should be some thing powdery ??? And dark in color ??
Side by side comparison would be great
(I think the AC would win this because of higher gph but who knows)

Bio filtration test:
Same setup
Both filters on same empty tank with goldfish bio-load
Let media establish bacteria over several weeks
Then setup both tanks with fresh water no goldfish and add a high dose of ammonia everyday for a week or 2 testing levels everyday

Just an idea and everyone would have a real answer
If anybody has better idea lets hear it

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I like the Emp 400 for the bio filteration, I don't think you can beat the bio wheels with any other HOB. I think the Ac110 would be best for mechanical filtration, higher water flow and more media space. So it would come down to what type set up your running. For something like a bare bottom discus tank that gets 50% w/c 2x a week the emp would be better. A tank with big fish and big waste the Ac110.

As far as Emp to penguin 350 comparison. I have both, little more water flow with Emp. and more filter media options, spray bars are nice the biowheels never get stuck. but I have to clean the Emp once a month or seems like reduction in flow. So less maintainence of the peguin.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I prefer the Emperor 400. The spray bar and biowheel are great!

REC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2005
Seattle Area
It all depends on what kind of set-up your using them on. If this will be your only filter then I like the AC110 better for the extra media room and 500gph over 400 for the EMP. But I use several Emp400's as a secondary filter due to the bio-wheels which continue to hold beneficial bacteria no matter what you do to the other media either on the emp400 or another filter. I run large canisters for mechanical filtration and then load the EMP400 with carbon to take care of both chemical and(Bio-Wheels) biological filtration.

cuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ohio
I picked Emp. 400. I think its the best filter I have owned. Not sure about the aquaclear because I never owned one. That is my two cents.

mike7587

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
Southern California
I am Going to use 2 HOB's on a 75Gallon I can do one of each or both the same. It will be understocked! Hope this helps.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
mike7587;643253; said:
I am Going to use 2 HOB's on a 75Gallon I can do one of each or both the same. It will be understocked! Hope this helps.

If you run one of each you will have the best of each, IMO.

Emporer 400 better biological filtration. Ac110 better mechanical filtration. Alot has to do with what your needs are. I am actually switching the emp 400 to a Ac110 on my 65 gallon RBP tank. Because I have a wet/dry sump on that tank and I beleive the Ac110 would be more benificial with the greater mechanical filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store