Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
9 to 4 now... :)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am currently running both on dif tanks, have had both running a few years now, I voted for the AC, I prefer it. Bio wheels are good for bio but can be problematic. But the AC high turn over, large bio media and mech filtration along with there reliability puts them on the top,
I would never rely on either for good bio filtration, canisters for that. so again, as far as flat out filtration and reliability the AC.

Reactions: tlindsey

Abby Ru

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2013
Minnesota
How about this arguement???

Would you rather run two emperor 400s or VERSUS one aquaclear 110?

haha

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Neither one is my favorite. If I am forced to choose between the two evil, I will pick AC because it has a simpler design with less parts to go wrong. Emperor 400 has the biowheel and spray bar that is more trouble than worth it. There are more parts that can go wrong and energy is diverted to drive the biowheel that could have been captured for higher flow. AC is the most popular filter in MEK because many members keep monster fish and AC can deliver the highest flow of all filters. But AC is no perfect angel. It's the only HOB you need to remove the motor to clean the impeller and over time, the O ring will crack and leak. The reusable foam is the attractable feacture of AC but an ineffective mechanical filter because of the large pore spaces that let fine to pass through. I have no interest in cleaning dirty fish diaper and much prefer to dump and replace it. A clogged up foam can pop up, allowing unfiltered water by pass, and potentially drip water From top to the floor.

My favorite HOB is the cheaper and simpler version Penguin 350 which I run without the troublesome biowheel, rendering it straightly as a mechanical filter. The narrower box allows the tank to be positioned closer to the wall. The limitation of all HOBs is the media capacity, not the flow, so why chase for the highest flow AC and Emperor can deliver. You can buy two Penguin for the price of one AC or Emperor for equivalent flow with more total media capacity and better flow distribution. And if you want to save money on filter media, you can buy poly batting from craft shops for penny and cut your own.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Having used both, its not a comparison at all. Aquaclear is the only HOB I'd ever use. Its twice the price for a reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store