Aquaclear 110 with sand

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
So I absolutely love aquaclears when it comes to filtration but they are the absolute worst for tanks with sand. I have cleaned mine out and even replaced the metal shaft but it still makes a terrible noise. Any tricks you guys have?

I've also been using a sponge on the intake to help keep sand out but it doesn't help.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Also try turning down the intake to a lower setting. I only run AC HOB in my sand bottom tanks. Haven’t had too many issues with it damaging the shaft. Could be a faulty impeller too...

Reactions: SandNukka15

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Try the large prefilter sponge from aquarium co-op. The are closed on the bottom instead of having the hole all the way through. I've been running one on a marineland long term, over black Diamond blasting sand, and I've never had a single issue.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I use just one extension tube on my intakes so they are about mid lvl of the water column and don't get any sand in them unless of course the fish spit the sand right at the tube.

When I first started with sand and ACs I went thru few shafts myself but learned that getting a bigger grain of sand helps alot as well. First sand was I used was .25mm to 1mm and it chewed up a handfull of shafts. I changed to 1.5mm to 2mm sand and no more issues. The sand just instantly drops when spit from fish and don't linger in the water column. I do water changes every 3 days and that how the detritus is removed instead of the filters sucking it up and having to break it down.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
30in deep tank with a couple inches of sand/gravel mix and Tapajos. Hasn’t been an issue at all. Intakes are over half way down the water column.
image.jpg

Reactions: SandNukka15

Johnez

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2020
Try the large prefilter sponge from aquarium co-op. The are closed on the bottom instead of having the hole all the way through. I've been running one on a marineland long term, over black Diamond blasting sand, and I've never had a single issue.
If you need a prefilter in a pinch just take a regular sponge cube and cut an "X" in the middle (don't go all the way through!) with a knife.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with others that raise the intake tube well above the substrate.
Many people think filters are for picking up feces at the bottom of tanks, to me that's what vacuuming, with water changes is about.
Seqestering those large pieces only adds to the buildup of nitrate.
To me that kind of light filtration is for getting rid of tiny particulate floating loose in the water column, so if using those type filters I usually use the short piece with the lowest end of it hanging maybe only half or 1/3 of the way down the tank depth, instead of extending it low into the tank.
Or using one of those surface skimmers available these days to take water from the surface, because that's where the most deleterious (yet often invisible by-products of waste) collect.
Chunks of turds are not half as bad as the proteins, and oils that often go unnoticed at the air/water interface.
This is why most reef keepers and salt water aquarists (and some very aware freshwater aquarists) employ protein skimming into their filtration regime.
The photo below is the waste collected and removed from the water column by my protein skimmer, on my small "freshwater" pond.
1606651648774.png
As you can see above, once you concentrate the stuff that is normally invisible, it can change your attitude about what filtration is simply adequate or effective.
Below a video of it, doing its job.
2:12

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
If you need a prefilter in a pinch just take a regular sponge cube and cut an "X" in the middle (don't go all the way through!) with a knife.
That's what I've done and I still got sand in the motor. They were geo red head tapojos so prob due to spitting.... but ill try using 1 intake extension only

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store