AquaClear 30 rattling

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I got a new AquaClear 30 recently for a new 10 gallon tank, and I got it going today, and the pump rattles / makes more noise than my other AC30. How do I stop it from making noise?

Reactions: Matteus

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I already tried that, it's not the lid. The noise is coming from the pump. Also, when I took the filter out of the box to initially set it up, I noticed that the impeller wasn't seated in the pump. It was just sitting inside of the filter, I had to put it into the pump myself, but when I inspected the impeller, it looked fine.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Make sure the impeller is in properly, I have also used pure petroleum jelly to lubricate the impeller as well :)
This is what I do. And take the top off as previously suggested, the top always vibrates and makes it noisier.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
On many newer pumps the magnetic impellers have a little plastic piece. The metal rod through the magnet gets little plastic caps on the top and bottom for it to ride on and maintain alignment.

5723fd4cb511e5b38adb6bb7efddd3c8.jpg

If your impeller was out when you got it the plastic guide may not be in the correct spot or is down inside and needs to be pushed back onto the metal rod.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Also, when I took the filter out of the box to initially set it up, I noticed that the impeller wasn't seated in the pump. It was just sitting inside of the filter, I had to put it into the pump myself, but when I inspected the impeller, it looked fine.
Forgive the question but did you put the magnet down or up?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Impellers, especially the small ones for small tanks, even just 1 grain of nearly microscopic sand or a tiny piece of plant leaf, "anything", can put them out of line.
Take a brush, to the volute (the place the impeller rides) , and rinse the area.
I do this every time I clean the filter (do a water change) consider it a necessary part of normal maintenance.
The more the impeller rattles the more it will wear, and wobble and get worse, and can break the mechanism.
I know its hard to see, but a wobbly impeller wore a figure 8 in the housing of this 500gph pump.

below a piece of carbon got in a trashed a volute

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store