Aquarium Filtration 101

marinebiologist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Lancaster and mission viejo
Algae Based Systems

These systems use very long runs of clear vinyl tubing and specific frequency light to grow and maintain beneficial Algae that can even convert and eliminate Nitrates and other trace elements from the water. Manufacturers claim that these systems are so efficient that a single 25% water change is all that’s required per YEAR…Mechanical filtration is handled by a simple pre-filter and the whole thing runs on a very low draw pump.

Can you tell me how to do that it sound interesting

chawk610

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX.
Wolf.... lots of good info there! I recently purchased a used set up that includes an AquaticsPro 125 wet dry filter. I am having hell getting it started. I apparently do not have the suction I need to start the siphon. Can you help? It is a 90 gallon tank, I am super excited about getting the water going!!!

J-P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
Wolf3101;1175019; said:
Aquarium Filtration

Hydroponics’ based systems.

These are relatively new and quite specialized central systems (multiple tanks on a single filter.) based on the concept of the plant filter. Tank water is pumped to a remote location…pre-filtered and then circulated through long hydroponics trays. The plants extract nutrients from the water and in the process remove all of the harmful elements. Because of the large amount of water loss from evaporation in these systems water changes are unnecessary because of the constant addition of fresh water.
Wolf
I would like to learn more about this kind of system. I believe the tank I purchased used this kind of system for a fresh water tank. It is a cascading tank with what looks like a sump / refrigerum. The top section cascades down several tanks and drains into a larger lower tank. The drain pipe exits into a small 30gal tanks which looks like a refrigerum, then goes to a long 230 gal tank before being pumped back to the top section.

Thanks
J-P

J-P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
I was wondering if this used tank I purchased was a hyroponic one. It would explain why there is so much sand at the bottom of the tank and the intake and the cascading action of the tanks.

J-P

Water Flow.jpg

oblrman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2008
Oregon USA
J-P;3669579; said:
I would like to learn more about this kind of system. I believe the tank I purchased used this kind of system for a fresh water tank. It is a cascading tank with what looks like a sump / refrigerum. The top section cascades down several tanks and drains into a larger lower tank. The drain pipe exits into a small 30gal tanks which looks like a refrigerum, then goes to a long 230 gal tank before being pumped back to the top section.

Thanks
J-P
The "commercial" farmer take on this form of filtration is called Aquaponics. The best site I've seen for learning about this method of raising fish and vegtables can be found here: http://www.aquaponics.net.au/. Its a commercial site but still loaded with great info- they dont just push the products they sell.

Here is a great description from the Aquaponics site I've referred to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHnU2zGYrg.

J-P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
oblrman;3675758; said:
The "commercial" farmer take on this form of filtration is called Aquaponics. The best site I've seen for learning about this method of raising fish and vegtables can be found here: http://www.aquaponics.net.au/. Its a commercial site but still loaded with great info- they dont just push the products they sell.

Here is a great description from the Aquaponics site I've referred to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHnU2zGYrg.
good sstuff thank you! I also found this atricle:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article69.html

This one is also very good

Autophysn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I agree, cool post. No mention of the lighting and sterilizing tho. Good or bad?
I assume that would depend on if you have plants or not, but either way, Thanks!

SeaPoint

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Gig Harbor, Washington
Wow, Great Insight!!!

I am getting back into the hobby after being away from it for 40 years....so lots for me to learn!!! I recently purchased a used 100 gallon set-up that has two hang on filters--Aqua Cear 500 & Penguin Bio-wheel 350. I have had it up and "cycling" for about one week using "SafeStart" BIO-Spira bacteria & feeder Guppies. Yesterday the Penguin filter went silent--stopped running and the bio-wheels are dry.......darn. Not knowing why it stopped I am looking at my options--to upgrade with something new or what to do? This thread is a great find & read for me and will help in my decision making process.............. :)
THANKS MUCH!!!

OklahomaCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2010
Oklahoma
So I have a Penguin 330, however it doesn't do a very good job of filtering my 38g cichlid tank. It also has an issue of overflowing around the intake pipe right at the top where it curves into the impeller assembly. The biowheels and filters are all seated properly. Yet it stilll overflows there and doesnt seem to be really "filtering" much. Can see lots of bits of old food, etc floating in water. I'm not overfeeding them as i only feed 3 times a week, and give them finger pinches of food one at a time when i do feed them so as to not overdo it.

I've been looking at a possible replacement and am wondering if it would be a better solutio to filter my tank.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperpower2.html

Not sure what else to do, i vaccumed the gravel 3 days ago, and changed to new filters as the old ones were quite dirty and had been in for awhile. The fish are fine and ive been monitoring ph, nitrite, nitrates, etc. All is within the safe ranges according to my test kit.

The penguin 330 does ocassionaly make noise like it is having difficulty sucking up water, and ive check/cleaned the intake tube and impeller to be sure, but it still seems weak.

Let me know what you think i should do here.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store