Aquarium Filtration 101

patrickkakkak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
Hii. Im patrick. I'm a college student and i recently got my baby arowana(silver arowana) which is my favorite fish since i was a kid. But now I'm confused of putting up a sump filter though i really don't know how to build one but i thoroughly research on the internet and i have found the best filter is a sump filter for my 32gal tank i have found a design from youtube that uses a trickle filter and moving bed k1 biological filter i really dont know how many kilo of k1 i really need and another pump for the out take to the tank aquarium. Plsss help. Asap. Im going to build my sump filter 2x1x1(by feet). On sunday. I dont really have that much money too cause we are poor asf. Ryt now. Im worried about the ammonia, nitrite,and nitrate lvls of my tank plsss help asap.

patrickkakkak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
20180209_235846.jpg 20180209_235819.jpg 20180209_235846.jpg 20180209_235819.jpg 20180209_235846.jpg
Hii. Im patrick. I'm a college student and i recently got my baby arowana(silver arowana) which is my favorite fish since i was a kid. But now I'm confused of putting up a sump filter though i really don't know how to build one but i thoroughly research on the internet and i have found the best filter is a sump filter for my 32gal tank i have found a design from youtube that uses a trickle filter and moving bed k1 biological filter i really dont know how many kilo of k1 i really need and another pump for the out take to the tank aquarium. Plsss help. Asap. Im going to build my sump filter 2x1x1(by feet). On sunday. I dont really have that much money too cause we are poor asf. Ryt now. Im worried about the ammonia, nitrite,and nitrate lvls of my tank plsss help asap.
I really need some anwers now plsss helpp meeeeeee ohhhhh pleaseee!!:(:((((((

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
I'm gonna be honest, I can't tell if you are joking or not. If you aren't, let me start with this...You've got a silver aro, two goldfish in a 32 gallon tank with a powerhead? You've mentioned you're "poor asf", my suggestion is to take back the arowana asap to wherever you bought it from. If you can't afford to provide proper filtration on a 32 gallon tank, then you will not be able to support a silver aro long-term either, considering they can get upwards of 3' in length. The bare minimum tank size most recommend is a 250 gallon for an adult and IMO that is too small.

Do yourself a favor, take back the arowana, take back the goldfish, get a small filter and some tetras for now or don't have any fish and be happy until you're done with college and have a job where you can get what you want and afford to provide adequate housing, filtration, food, etc.

patrickkakkak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
View attachment 1298831 View attachment 1298832 View attachment 1298831 View attachment 1298832 View attachment 1298831
I'm gonna be honest, I can't tell if you are joking or not. If you aren't, let me start with this...You've got a silver aro, two goldfish in a 32 gallon tank with a powerhead? You've mentioned you're "poor asf", my suggestion is to take back the arowana asap to wherever you bought it from. If you can't afford to provide proper filtration on a 32 gallon tank, then you will not be able to support a silver aro long-term either, considering they can get upwards of 3' in length. The bare minimum tank size most recommend is a 250 gallon for an adult and IMO that is too small.

Do yourself a favor, take back the arowana, take back the goldfish, get a small filter and some tetras for now or don't have any fish and be happy until you're done with college and have a job where you can get what you want and afford to provide adequate housing, filtration, food, etc.
Im not

Bro bro. Thankyoui very much for replying. Bro can i use this what you call power head as an overflow? Cause i currently wanted to build a sump. I have the money now and wanted to make a moving bed filter with some biological medias?

patrickkakkak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
I use my powerhead as like overflow so it will go to the first part of the sump and then the water flows to the k1 medias and k1 medias to the pump return to the tank. I research the internet some people say that the overflow must be approximately equal to the return pump am i right? But bro im not really joking my father wants it too to keep the arowana. I cant return the arowana either cause i wanted to keep it. Im sorry if you find my approach bad i really just want to keep it. Plss bro help me to fix my sump. I can find a tank for my arowana if it gets bigger too my father knows how to build a tank he also the one who build the 32gal tank though. If i make a sump i will reduce the ammonia nitrite and nitrate right? Cause k1 media is the best biological media. Bro i need your help pleasee helpp mee i beg.

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
Guys i have a 70G tank 4ft long..
Thinking of setting up a african cichlid tank..
What model of cannister filter shud i use.. a cost effective one.. not too high in budget.
Please help

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Plss bro help me to fix my sump. I can find a tank for my arowana if it gets bigger too my father knows how to build a tank he also the one who build the 32gal tank though.
Hi Patrick,
The problem isn't your filtration, it's that your fish will outgrow your tank by the summer. If your dad can do the build, please set the bottom of the powerhead into a big chunk of course sponge & get onto that big-build immediately. You've got light, so add some water-plants for the nitrates and shift the messy goldfish out. Filamentous plants that float are fine, and so long as they don't take up too much surface the aro will thank you for the habitat/enrichment.

Note: I see you last wrote in February... I assume the fish is no longer an issue?

Speedbump

Feeder Fish
Jun 29, 2019
Filtration has become my nemesis. We got a used 75 that came with a small Fluval/Aquaclear 70 HOB. It also came with drum roll please...2 Oscars, 1 White Red Devil, 1 Pink Dempsey, 1Green Terror and a 10”Pleco.
It was cloudy inside of ten days, my assumption was crazy high bio-load. So I got an overflow box a 30gallon sump and an 1100gph pump. Problem is..still cloudy. WhT should I change to clean the water? I have the water flowing like this; through a filter sock across biobeads and four pouches of Carbon. Still a cloudy mess. I change the filter sock every three days. The overflow uses two sided drop hose so it goes through two socks. One each hose.1378313Suggestions?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store