Aquarium on drawer slides - crazy idea?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The wheels may cut paths into the floor in time.
Completely agree. That's why I think you'd need tracks.

You could also hang the tank from cables and swing it out into position to allow it to be cleaned with a pulley, although that may be ugly.
It's true that people do hang heavy objects from cables. But those are typically from purpose built ceilings, unlike most residential ceilings. And if it's hung from the stand, it brings up the tipping / center of gravity issue.

None of this is something I'd do, but if I did, it would be better on concrete floor. On concrete, you can use all sorts of concrete anchors to set up a permanent track, then come back later and fill it. On wood, if you used tracks, you might get lucky and only end up replacing a few planks, but it's risky.

Last edited:
Reactions: J. H.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Reactions: J. H.

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
There was a thread earlier this year or last with the guy who built a pretty good sized tank on a wheeled stand. It would be interesting if that's still holding up. My 2 big questions about a drawer system would be strength for one, and if you found one that worked, how long it would hold up being around moisture. I could see it rotting out or rusting out more quickly than expected.

Arthur

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
michigan
If you're serious about this I would find an engineering supply company local to you.

I can't think of the vendor I spoke with that had some hardcore drawer slides, but if you google thk or hiwin and search for vendors in your area they should be able to point you in the right direction.

A lot of these places will do the math for you and tell you what to use. It's probably not going to be cheap to buy something to do what you want though, so keep that in mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store