Aquarium salt. Good or bad?

Joefosho

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Bakersfield
I have read several different opinions on the Web about aquarium salts not being necessary or even possibly having negative effects. Aside from treatment should I be using aquarium salt as a regular additive with my water changes? I tablespoon/5gallons. Im keeping several paratheraps (viejas)

Reactions: GamerChick5567

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you were keeping rift lake species, you "might" think you needed the extra mineral salts created to mimic the lakes mineral composition.
But salt, (NaCl) is salt. So when I need salt is use plain old water softener salt, or just plain old rock salt. That's when I needed salt to medicate.
I have kept many of the Vieja species, and most have spawned for me, and never added any salt as part of normal routine. My tap water pH is 7.5-8.00. alkalinity 100ppm, and general hardness @ 250ppm
That said, if your tap water is soft and devoid of minerals, a little rock salt wouldn't hurt.
You may want to check the parameters listed in your city water quality report.
google your cities annual drinking water quality report.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
duanes duanes - I think you've posted that 3.0 ppm is lethal for ich. Any idea how many tsp per gallon that is? Also thoughts on pre-salting a quarantine tank (or better to gradually raise the salt level)...

I only add it if I see fish with minor bumps or scratches on them, or if I see ich.

Joefosho

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Bakersfield
If you were keeping rift lake species, you "might" think you needed the extra mineral salts created to mimic the lakes mineral composition.
But salt, (NaCl) is salt. So when I need salt is use plain old water softener salt, or just plain old rock salt. That's when I needed salt to medicate.
I have kept many of the Vieja species, and most have spawned for me, and never added any salt as part of normal routine. My tap water pH is 7.5-8.00. alkalinity 100ppm, and general hardness @ 250ppm
That said, if your tap water is soft and devoid of minerals, a little rock salt wouldn't hurt.
You may want to check the parameters listed in your city water quality report.
google your cities annual drinking water quality report.
Okay so are there any benefits to adding aquarium salt at the recommended dosages as labelled on the box for proper gill function, essential electrolytes, peak coloration, vitality, reduces stress, and so on and so on? Or is this just some marketing scam to get us to pay more money for such an "essential additive"? Also I'm from central/so Cal and know my tap water ph registers between about 7.4 and 8. Not sure about the hardness.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
fullsizeoutput_37f.jpeg When I added salt for ick, I used a salinity/conductivity meter, so I would just throw handfuls of rock salt in throughout the day and watch the meter react. Sorry, I'm no help on the spoonful count.
3ppt usually tastes a bit salty, not enough to make one gag like you would from sea water though.
I don't see any need to add salt for strictly fresh water fish, unless its to treat.
There are "salt water pool" test strips available, where the salt is put in, and is used to create a chlorine residual, not really to make the pool sea like.
These test strip usually have a color comparator chart to determine salinity concentration.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store