Aquarium Shelving.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi People

I'm looking for a cheapish option to hold 4 tanks (1x29g, 1x15g, 1x10g, and 1x5g) would something like this be ok?

Most DIY options are out of the question due to a bad knee injury. Also, I had been looking at pallet racking but no one delivers in Australia for such a small amount.

Cheers

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi People

I'm looking for a cheapish option to hold 4 tanks (1x29g, 1x15g, 1x10g, and 1x5g) would something like this be ok?

Most DIY options are out of the question due to a bad knee injury. Also, I had been looking at pallet racking but no one delivers in Australia for such a small amount.

Cheers

Yes a shelf rack system will work just find out the load capacity. In the States they sell racking systems in boxes. You could pay a friend or relative to put it together for you.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just be clear on how the shelving is supposed to be used. Some will tell you in the fine print not to "over" load the center (instead distribute the weight evenly) or that most of the weight is supposed to be on a particular shelf (e.g., the bottom.)

In your case, you may want to purchase a shelf that looks like it's much stronger than it normally need to be because you may want to have the tanks in the center, or most of the weight on the top.

Also, make sure these will not be weakened from getting wet. Metal over wood, imo.

Reactions: tlindsey

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Just be clear on how the shelving is supposed to be used. Some will tell you in the fine print not to "over" load the center (instead distribute the weight evenly) or that most of the weight is supposed to be on a particular shelf (e.g., the bottom.)

In your case, you may want to purchase a shelf that looks like it's much stronger than it normally need to be because you may want to have the tanks in the center, or most of the weight on the top.

Also, make sure these will not be weakened from getting wet. Metal over wood, imo.
I would be replacing the wood definitely

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Yes a shelf rack system will work just find out the load capacity. In the States they sell racking systems in boxes. You could pay a friend or relative to put it together for you.
They don't in Australia :-( except for these types of shelves

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017

Would this be better

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I like the metal and the strength is perfect, but it sounds too tall for your needs. A shorter version of the same thing might be ideal. I guess you could use the upper shelves for food, supplies, etc.

Update: Actually, shelves are adjustable and each is rated for 200 kg, so it looks like a great option.

Last edited:

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Also, if it's not on concrete, since it has small metal footings, I suspect you'll want to put something between it and the floor to avoid damage to wood or carpet. When I had my 180 gallon on my carpet, it had even smaller footings.

I used 1/2" thick plywood pieces (maybe 8" x 8") under each of the 6 legs to spread the weight. When I removed the tank later, it had protected the carpet.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Also, if it's not on concrete, since it has small metal footings, I suspect you'll want to put something between it and the floor to avoid damage to wood or carpet. When I had my 180 gallon on my carpet, it had even smaller footings.

I used 1/2" thick plywood pieces (maybe 8" x 8") under each of the 6 legs to spread the weight. When I removed the tank later, it had protected the carpet.
I decided to spend the extra $$ and go for what I was told was pallet rack workbench http://imgur.com/a/cAY5f. I'm a little worried as the company I purchased it from didn't seem 100% to know how much weight it can support on each level. They said around 1000kg but if I stand on one of the beams it bends a bit (I'm 110kg).

What should I use as a top for both levels? I was thinking of using 2x4s with ply wood on top. Any suggestions would be helpful.

It's going on concrete

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Well, let's see. I need to do some math....

You have 59 gallons worth of tanks, so that's around 265-270 kg. If you have 2 pairs of beams, and place the tanks weight roughly evenly, then each beam would only need to support 66-68 kg. (e.g., the 29 on one level, and the 15,10 and 5 on the other.)

That's well under 110 kg.

I'm not sure I understand your question about "a top for both levels." Do you mean the part that will sit under the tanks?

Plywood and 2x4's should work, but what is the width of the span (front to back, not side to side)? The 2x4's should be perpendicular to the front to back, so how long to they need to be to bridge that space?

Looks like 75 cm, but it's a guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store