Aquarium stand

THE FAMILY GUY

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
NEW YUCK CITY
So I think my wife is starting to get the fish bug or maybe she's being nice trying to set up a big favor for the future, either way I'm taking advantage. So she gave the ok to put a 125 gallon in the guest room with a couple of "conditions" because that room doubles as her she-cave. Stock wise she wants geos, sevs and clown loaches........No problem. Because there's a 65" tv mounted on the wall with hidden wires she wants the tank underneath the tv with glass lids and a canopy......No problem cool. The issue is the stand. She wants the tank on a stand that is no more than 14-24 inches tall but it also has to be black and look like a piece of furniture like a nice looking tv stand or shelving. She showed me something in the Ikea catalog to give an idea of what she was talking about. I know Ikea tv stands are made with particle board and wouldn't support the weight but does anyone know of something or somewhere that may help? And no I wouldn't trust myself to build something. Has anyone used something similar for a 125 tank long term? Also would need to have at least 2 doors to hide the 2 fx6 filtars.

HEMNES TV unit, black-brown, 72x18 1/2x22 1/2

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Congrats on the wife agreeing to a tank in her she-cave!

It's probably going to be difficult to find a commercially made piece of non-aquarium furniture that will support the tank, fit the 2 FX6 filters AND meet the 24 inch height as you'll need as least that height to access the filters (and hoses) for maintenance.

Do you have a custom furniture builder near you that you could bounce some ideas off of?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I would not trust these economically made furniture to hold up the 1400lbs or so of tank weight for years to come.

R&J makes very nice stands a bit pricey, but the peace of mind is worth it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store