Aquarium water pump problems.

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
Hey, so I'm posting here for the first time, always been a reader, but I need help today, so recently I set up a 75 gallon tank with a DIY canister, however to siphon water from the tank to the filtration I had to plug a pump in the aquarium to direct the water to the canister/sump. Now, the very same day there was a power outage and something happened, and I was totally clueless, or didn't think about the possibility that this would happen, the water pump from the aquarium continued to push water to the canister/sump, and the motor in the canister/sump didn't do it(it shouldn't has there is no power). so I figured that there must be a problem with the pump in the aquarium so I interchanged the pumps with each other and it continued doing the same. So now I have a power filter which cycles about 1800L/h and a sponge filter, I don't think these would help my aquarium, I do have a motoro stingray 2 oscars 2 bichir and 2 silver sharks. Any ideas has to why my aquarium water pump continued to pump out water even after a power out age, if yes, any suggestion on how to fix it? Because a month ago I had made an inbuilt sump filtration which resulted in minimizing space for the fish in the tank. Just as all of you, I love my fish and I want to do what's right for them, so any suggestions or helps or knowledge please do share. Thank you.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
When the pump in your aquarium was switched on and started to pump water to your cannister a syphon was set in motion. If the power to the pump goes off the syphon will still remain, albeit at a less flow than what your pump was pushing. The flow will stop eventually when the water level in the tank reaches your pump, and the sudden intake of air will then break the syphon.

I believe that's what's going on in your situation.

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
When the pump in your aquarium was switched on and started to pump water to your cannister a syphon was set in motion. If the power to the pump goes off the syphon will still remain, albeit at a less flow than what your pump was pushing. The flow will stop eventually when the water level in the tank reaches your pump, and the sudden intake of air will then break the syphon.

Hey, thanks for the reply, what your saying makes absolute sense, now the questions that arises is, " can I place my water pump towards the top of the aquarium using suction cups? Will it still help in filtration?"

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

I agree with this, once proper siphon begins, it does not stop, unless siphon is broken with an air gap.
This is why you can begin siphoning with a Python water changer by turning the tap on, but once siphon has begun, the tap can be turned off, and siphon will continue.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Let me get this right because i'm a little confused. You pump water from your display tank down to a DIY cannister which I presume is on the floor at the side of your tank? Then you have another pump in your DIY cannister which returns the water back to your display tank?

If this is correct it's a little unusual to be doing it that way, even if the pumps were identical because they'd have different head pressures so the flow wouldn't match, which could be be very problematic.

If your cannister pump failed for example your display tank pump would carry on spewing water into your cannister with no means of returning it to your display tank, leading to an overflowing cannister/flood. Confused.com.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’m with esoxlucius esoxlucius
You really only need the return pump.
That is contingent on the filter you’ve made being sealed.
If your filter will leak or build pressure I’m afraid you’re in for another flood.

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
Let me get this right because i'm a little confused. You pump water from your display tank down to a DIY cannister which I presume is on the floor at the side of your tank? Then you have another pump in your DIY cannister which returns the water back to your display tank?

If this is correct it's a little unusual to be doing it that way, even if the pumps were identical because they'd have different head pressures so the flow wouldn't match, which could be be very problematic.

If your cannister pump failed for example your display tank pump would carry on spewing water into your cannister with no means of returning it to your display tank, leading to an overflowing cannister/flood. Confused.com.
Yes, that's exactly the issue, I'm facing, so the first time I had an power outage, the pump in the display tank spewed out half the water in the display tank and resulted in flooding the house. And they aren't identical pumps, to match flow rate, I had to get two different once. Anyhow, I,m thinking of just making a DIY overhead sump filtration, in which case even if the pump continues to siphon water then It will siphon it back to the display tank itself. Any suggestion or inputs for the DIY overhead sump?

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Im curious where you got this idea from. Because it sounds like you made a sump out of a 5 gallon bucket that’s not sealed using two return pumps. If so it’s designed to go above the aquarium and gravity should return the water to the tank.

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
I’m with esoxlucius esoxlucius
You really only need the return pump.
That is contingent on the filter you’ve made being sealed.
If your filter will leak or build pressure I’m afraid you’re in for another flood.
Well, I agree, so for the moment trying to figure out what to do, and the best I came up with is overhead sump filter.

Abhinavpai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
India
Im curious where you got this idea from. Because it sounds like you made a sump out of a 5 gallon bucket that’s not sealed using two return pumps. If so it’s designed to go above the aquarium and gravity should return the water to the tank.
I did a bit of research online, youtube mainly and that's where I got the idea. and the canister/sump I designed is well more than 20 gallons actually. It will hold upto 70 - 90 lts. Also what you said about it going above the tank makes sense, but this filtration would be to big to keep it atop the tank. So need to create a DIY overhead sump, let me know what you think about this idea and would it be a better solution to the problem?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store