Aquarium weight-150g vs 220g

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
My 150g is really old. It was old when I got it lol. Really want to upgrade at the same time and also coordinating this with new flooring.

Questions:

1.What kind of flooring would be a good choice with a tank like this?
2.Worried about weight difference. This is on a first floor with basement below. But I am reducing weight by removing the circled tank and cabinet thingy. Will that make difference?

356C210A-1219-4EDE-BB19-5AE272726040.jpeg

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
The difference in weight between the 150G and 220G is around 500 lbs (give or take). Is the 220 going to be an 8 foot long tank? That makes a difference as the weight is spread out over a larger area. Taller tank is worse weight wise as the glass is usually thicker and the added weight is not spread out.

Is the tank against a load bearing wall? Which way do the joists run (you want them to be perpendicular to the tank)?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would say just proceed with caution. You're talking about a small increase in psi.

I dont think that cabinet is affecting anything. But it might be a good idea to examine your floor joists. A large tank should always sit so its spread out across as many joists as possible. So if moving the cabinet will allow you to allocate the weight better, then maybe move it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store