Aqueon Freshwater Stingray Care Sheet

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I expect fish food and big box stores to make crappy pamphlets about how to care for beginner fish. Oh yeah that dwarf gourami needs a 10 gallon and mid 70 degree water with 10% changed weekly. That is to be expected, however, what is not expected is for anyone to make a pamphlet let alone a crappy one for fish that would be deemed anywhere from intermediate to expert care by a reasonable person.

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Aqueon probably has good intentions but a 25 % weekly water change is disturbing when keeping any Ray specie. Most of us know It's about the proper wc's not just the filtration.https://www.aqueon.com/information/care-sheets/stingray-freshwater
Thankfully, hobbyists who are at a decent level will take info like this with a pinch of salt. We all know it's about individual nitrate build up which is unique from tank to tank, a blanket statement like aqueons 25% is poor info.

Unfortunately, hobbyists who aren't at a decent level (shouldn't be taking on rays anyway), will take this advice as the done deal.

That is when aqueons advice on water changes goes from poor to downright potentially fatal for the poor rays.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
You know, it’s not actually all that bad. I read through the entire care sheet. They summed it up quite well in a fashion that could draw new people into keeping rays.

if they said 50-75% that would be more reasonable.

I also wouldn’t recommend keeping polys in with them. Some people get away with it, but I wouldn’t recommend a new person to donut because it is a juggling act of size and temperament. IMHO

I have seen some very cringy care sheets. This one could be better but I wouldn’t say it’s terrible. $0.02

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I think those care sheets are like petco workers. They know just enough to make themselves dangerous. I stopped listening when they said canned mango is good for a bearded dragon which could be poisonous.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
It says 25-50%... 50% a week is sufficient for average ray keepers ie one pearl stingray in 300g of water or a pair in 480g.

I would say that a 25% weekly water change is plenty for one stingray in 2000g of water, so they aren't wrong.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It says 25-50%... 50% a week is sufficient for average ray keepers ie one pearl stingray in 300g of water or a pair in 480g.

I would say that a 25% weekly water change is plenty for one stingray in 2000g of water, so they aren't wrong.
Some with smaller aquariums with a Ray in it will read the 25% as being ok. Your correct with your analysis but not everyone keeping a Stingray has 2000 gallon aquariums.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Bio load is totally unique to each tank. Only the hobbyist who owns said tank will know, in time, what their water change % and schedule should be.

The rest of Aqueons caresheet seems quite informative. I just think they've dropped the ball coming out with an actual figure which they think covers all bases, when it clearly can't.

Their 25-50% figure, for some, could mean a single teacup stingray in a 1000g tank with no tankmates and with minimal feeding, or, in the same breath, multiple large rays with other large tank mates and heavy feeding in a 500g!

If they'd have said something along the lines of "water change % and schedule is dependant on tank bio load which can be determined by blah blah.....", then it is left in the hands of the hobbyist, which is totally the correct thing to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store