arapaima breeding

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
limz_777;2072496; said:
genetics i am not sure about it,but i am sure its not a albino as there is another colour present lining the scales , and the enclosure tank is all white background , could it be that?

pimas will get very light colors living in a white tank

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Tropical Trade Company;2071241; said:
Tropical Trade Company is located in the Amazon and we raise Arapaima Giga in captivity. We have hatchlings for export. E-mail us for any information needed regarding this "monster" fish. andrew@tropicaltradecompany.com .

Any more info on this? Do you provide CITES paperwork and export/import permits with them?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Zoodiver;2075282; said:
Any more info on this? Do you provide CITES paperwork and export/import permits with them?
Zoo, you have probably already answered this question for me, but if someone exports the animals with proper CITES documentation, do you need any further documentation on this side?

dreday42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2010
Tampa, FL
[HR][/HR]From what i understand there are quite a few permits. It also depends on the state you are bringing them into. Here in florida there are a lot hoops to jump through before you can bring them in. But I have heard that someone is trying to raise them as a food fish. Not sure how well that is going but it will take a while to raise the juvies to breeders and then have them stocking ponds with new fry.

I would imagine you would need a good size pond for them but having them breed in the pond can be hard to care for the fry or to even see if they have fry. If you can condition the fish to spawn there are ways to induce spawning when your ready. It also makes it easier to collect the eggs and hatch them yourself.

It all depends on how serious you want to get. Again conditioning freshwater fish can be the hardest part in regards to spawning. Once they are conditioned they usually spawn with the correct tank setups. After that it is usually not to bad raising the fry.

Dre

PS i know this is an old post but i had several conversations about this fish recently and thought i could add a little info to the topic.

xionglue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
Minnesota
Plus I don't think your arapaima is still immature and is most likely not to breed while still at only 5-8inches. You should wait for next year to breed it. Otherwise all your efforts would just go to waist.

dreday42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2010
Tampa, FL
Just a small update. They need to be pretty large before they are sexually mature. Conferring with a friend who is raising some they are already 4ft and close to maturity. He has lost some and only has 3 left. They are looking pretty healthy but he does not have a good idea on the sex yet. They grow extremely fast, at 6 months old they were over one foot long. They are just over 2 years old now and should become mature soon. Maybe next year they will start to breed.

I know someone else who is trying to bring some more in and raise them up in very large ponds, like 1/2acre to 1 acre ponds.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
There is a guy that breeds them here in California...........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store