May 7, 2005
the red variant is more of a common one

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
Zoodiver;1885752; said:
Most of mine would only eat right from my hand. They are also smart enough to learn when/where they are fed if you remain consistent with the time/place you feed.
mine act more like dogs than fish.......... no shame in begging when they see me....even swim around trying to get my attention

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
TLkmDN;2066240; said:
prety sure red is the only colour
Hobbyists refer to a 'gold' phase as well from time to time.

johnptc;2066292; said:
mine act more like dogs than fish.......... no shame in begging when they see me....even swim around trying to get my attention

For sure! They are fairly smart and know who gives them food.

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
BaTsBR;1819403; said:
In what age they usually becomes more colourfull ??
My two pimas hava about 5 and 3 months, and the older one starts to show some spotss in his tail, not red, just grey.
In here, Brasil, the big ones I see have red color marks, never seen another color before.
I agree with Karun, in time your gigas will show red/orange (it is just the matter of how much). I got mine and it had no colors at all (just dark green). It is starting to show coloring on the scales all over the body (not yet briliant red) and the tail definitely has red stripes developing.

Karun's version is exceptionally colored at such a small age. I have a lost a batch of paimas that were selected for their color during a cold spell in February (similar to Karun's) alas when i returned to the shop for more they had non-colored ones left (but i was assured that the color will come - and it is coming now).

Feeding paimas fresh fish (and prawns if you can afford it) DOES bring out the color better. My neighbor's paimas get brighter when he adds fish to their diet (on top of dog pellets)

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
johnptc;2066292; said:
I second that. Paimas beg for food shamelessly like pet puppies (and follow you from one length of aquarium to another). Though, they hate when i clean the glass with the magnet thing .... freaks one of them real bad ... one of the reason the paima's tank is not so spotless =S
I don't get that reaction from silver aros or jardini (in fact, my silvers and jardini) tend to swim away ... the plus side is that sivers are quite docile during tank cleaning

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
Zoodiver;2074223; said:
.... For sure! They are fairly smart and know who gives them food.
Nah. Mines beg for food from any passer buys ^^

Stinkiray

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2009
Spain
Does the red scales of the pima grow in a specific pattern or does it cover the whole back of the pima?

Savorp

Feeder Fish
Aug 23, 2009
Cyprus
I have not read with colour cards,but spirit often shows me colours that relate to health issues and questions on what is the sex of my baby? etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store