Arapaima pond filtration

breman_sreyas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2009
heaven
What should be the arapima pond filtration setup.or filtration is not necessary just frequent partial water changes..in pond what else should be there to make it natural environment for the arapimas

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
In reality u will have a huge volume of water therefore filtration is necessary. They eat lots and grow big thereafter will produce a lot of waste. I cannot comment on size but I'd assume big

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
There is no properly housing a pima. They just don't belong in the hobby just like Orcas don't belong at seaworld

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
They are farmed all of the time in the amazon area as a source of food

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
There is no properly housing a pima. They just don't belong in the hobby just like Orcas don't belong at seaworld
You really can't compare an arapaima to an orca. Not even in the same league. Compared to orcas, arapaimas are plain dumb - they're still relatively intelligent animals, especially for fish, but nowhere near an orca. Also they are a sluggish, air-breathing fish that get to about 11 feet long and 450 pounds. The orca is an agile, quick, constantly-roaming dolphin that can reach 30 feet long and over 15,000 pounds. So saying that nobody can keep these fish is simply a lie - plenty of people in this hobby have enclosures large enough for this fish.

Now, I don't condone the average hobbyist keeping this species, nor do I condone pretty much anyone keeping this species. I would say these fish have an activity level similar to that of one of the bamboo shark species, so I will use that formula to come up with a minimum tank size. Assuming the average arapaima rarely surpasses 8 feet, we can say that a fish this size needs somewhere around 11,000 gallons - 25 feet long, 12 feet wide, and 5 feet high. Obviously this is a minimum, and an arapaima would likely be much "happier" in a larger tank of, say, 35 feet long by 15 feet wide by 6.5 feet deep - or around 26,000 gallons. Obviously not many people have tanks really anywhere close to this size.

Sorry to the OP for not answering your question exactly, I will try and get around to coming up with a response sometime though. But long story short I would use bead filters which seem to be the most popular form of filtration on large tanks like this. There are a few things you would also want to incorporate, but bead filter would be the main thing I would want on something that size.

Reactions: MitchGlitch23

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
The keeper I was thinking about has a 50000 gallon enclosure for his,
Arapaimag? He's got a 52,000 gallon and a 15,000 gallon. IMO his tanks aren't big enough, most of the gallonage in his tanks comes from the insane height on them. They're certainly massive, but not exactly big enough for a full grown arapaima. Would make for an awesome artificial reef tank though!

Really with any fish, the gallonage doesn't exactly matter - it's the tank's footprint. Height only comes into play rarely, like when you're dealing with freshwater angelfish and such. And obviously a fish that can get 11 feet long needs something relatively deep. I know a few saltwater guys who've got setups big enough to keep arapaimas, and I am sure there are some big enough ponds on here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store