Archer fish?

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
are there freshwater archer fish? and are they legal in florida? if so i was thinking on getting some but could anyone help me out with this?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i think there is at least one freshwater spp of archer (or maybe just found in fw) is it toxotes oligolepis?, but they are not at all common, but i could be wrong. dont see why theyd be illegal where you are
edit. think Toxotes lorentzi might be fw too? think they are the aus ones

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Im in orlando . but my friend had some kind of fish that spit and he had to get a permit but i dont know what it was.. it was in a 600 gallon by itself and was a big mofo.

Kuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
Benton,Ky
Theres 5 species of archers. All found in the brackish and coastal waters of Asia and northern Australia. I dont see why they would be illeagal for you, but dont take it from me.

toxotes oligolepis is a fresh water Archer

Like davo said this is Toxotes lorentzi But i believe hes brackish

Kuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
Benton,Ky
Im in orlando . but my friend had some kind of fish that spit and he had to get a permit but i dont know what it was.. it was in a 600 gallon by itself and was a big mofo.
and im sorry milkman but i dont believe there is any big mofo Archers i dont think any of the 5 species even get over a foot, but once again dont take it from me

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Well i cant find a place to get these bad boys so i just thought either rare down here or illegal

But im gona order some java moss and get some more live plants and make my tank look awsome then when thats done (the 120g)

gona get my 10g set up with live plants and java and get like 3 archers (babies) untill they out grow that :) should be bad ass. if you guys find anymore info please pm me

hehe kk i dident no wtf it was but its in his fish store just for show :)

Kuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
Benton,Ky
Good luck with everything.

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Archers are usually found in slightly Brackish waters here in Aus, but that doesn't mean they cant be acclimatised to live in fresh water.
If you get them young, they will most likely be kept in fresh water, and if you keep them in fresh they will do fine.

I am talking about the Australian species of Archers, not sure about the legalities though.
They wll be fine in fresh ;)

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's Florida...just go to the nearest body of water, throw a net, and you'll probably get a few :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store