Are amazon puffers freshwater?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Fresh water, I believe. There are only a few true fresh water puffers. I believe Avocado Puffers, Pea Puffers, Mbu Puffers, Humphed Dragon Puffers, and Amazon Puffers are some if not all of them. I believe Amazon Puffers, in the wild, migrate from fresh to brackish salinity of 1.008 or something like that. But other mfkers would know better than me.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
C.Asellus as far as i know has always been 100% F/W fish unless documents have been updated in recent years to say otherwise?

However T.Fluviatilis (AKA Ceylon Puffer) that looks similar is a puffer that requires high end brackish to marine as adults which maybe where the confusion comes from...

The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow there are actually a lot more F/W puffers than what you listed including a few red eye species such as C.Salivator, C.Irrubessco and also species such as T.Miurus, T.Baileyi among others...

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
C.Asellus as far as i know has always been 100% F/W fish unless documents have been updated in recent years to say otherwise?

However T.Fluviatilis (AKA Ceylon Puffer) that looks similar is a puffer that requires high end brackish to marine as adults which maybe where the confusion comes from...

The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow there are actually a lot more F/W puffers than what you listed including a few red eye species such as C.Salivator, C.Irrubessco and also species such as T.Miurus, T.Baileyi among others...
I agree.
Can't forget fahakas!
SandNukka15 SandNukka15 if you are looking for something with a size closer to the sa puffer without all the issues of tooth growth you may want to look in to the irrubesscos. They typically cost about double the asellus though. From what I've read they can also be kept in groups.( Fat Homer Fat Homer correct me if I'm wrong) I've never kept them though. The lfs had 6 I asked them if they'd hold them for me for a week and they said yes but sold them on me. I went with pea puffers as I had a hard time finding them again. I see some online places have them currently, thinking they may be seasonal. Maybe in time when I get the fish room finally completed.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Fahakas are definitely fun puffers to keep, not too small and not overly large...

Reactions: SandNukka15
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store