are arrowanas fortune fish?

ongchi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2006
philippines
are arrowana really are fortune fish?
they said that when i dies they save the bad luck of the owner.
ever heard of some stories about it?

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
yep, heard of those stories and lots more, even those that are color-related luck. like red for the home and family, the gold for business, etc. it originated from the arowana's resemblance to the chinese mythical dragon, the swimming movement, the scales, the proud manner of the fish - hence the name dragonfish. plus the whiskers or barbels of the fish symbolize the chinese character for the number 8.

but i for an arowana fan am not into anything like that. i admit it was one of the attractions at first, but i believe people should not go into the arowana hobby just for the element of luck and fortune associated with the fish. ive been into the arowana for quite a while now, enough to know that reasons such as mythical beliefs could only cause frustrations to the hobbyist and shallow appreciation for the arowana. if you wanna be an arowana enthusiast, love the species as what it scientifically is....an ancient, magnificent fish with awe-inspiring beauty.

just my opinion......

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
let me correct that superstition...it is believed that if your aro dies, it has saved you from a very serious misfortune...the arowana took the bad luck away from you, choosing to take the misfortune and die in your place...thats why aros are fortune fishes.

bad luck on the owner if it dies is totally against the fortune fish thing:grinno:

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
are arrowana really are fortune fish?
they said that when i dies they save the bad luck of the owner.
ever heard of some stories about it?
Well knowone can prove that they are or aren't, I personally don't believe in that sort of thing but it's totally based on faith and belief, no way to prove it. There are a lot of fish that are supposed to be fortune fish, even goldfish. In fact, they say if you have goldfish you should have something like eight gold ones and one black one or something like that, I cannot remeber the reason why.

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
i've certainly heard of that, especially when it comes to asian aro. personally that's NEVER the reason why i like aro. i like them for their beauty, their graceful swimming posture, their ancient look and their amazing colors (for asian aros).

as said this is totally based on faith and belief, and i can see how people would consider asian aro (esp. the red and gold) as fortune fish, BUT i honestly think it started out as a marketing ploy, like many other 'fortune fish', which bothers me. if you know the chinese name for red tail giant gourami, you'll know what i mean.

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
i dont know if its for marketting bro. well it certainly helped boost sales when breeding and farming began. but the chinese have always believed in the superstition even before the arowana farms and sellers for the tropical fish markets emerged, back when early asian aro keepers collected their pets from the wild. its pretty old stuff. it may be used as marketing ploy nowadays but it certainly didnt start out as one

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
i dont know if its for marketting bro. well it certainly helped boost sales when breeding and farming began. but the chinese have always believed in the superstition even before the arowana farms and sellers for the tropical fish markets emerged, back when early asian aro keepers collected their pets from the wild. its pretty old stuff. it may be used as marketing ploy nowadays but it certainly didnt start out as one
It is belevied by ancient Chinese that they are spiritual fish, and in the art of Feng Shui, they specificially state that it is good energy (chi-universal life force energy) , an entire house is arranged using mirrors, plants, lighting, bamboo for luck and animals. so the energy flow is right , etc. Fish are the one living animal still brought into the home instead of symbolization. I read my first book on it AFTER I got my aro, was coincidentally reading this book on Feng Shui, well the first page I opened it to stated every home shouse have an Arowana, also known as an ancient dragon fish were not just luck but bring beauty and grace-but they were a soul. It's good luck to have an odd number of fish. If a fish dies, it should be replaced, it took misfortune or death in the place of the owner. (one aro is enough, just 9 fish total, or odd #)

I think it's a way of living in some cultures, and a choice in ours. Feng Shui is also ancient Chinese art form kinda zen the house look pretty cool with mirrors, waterfalls, mini bamboo but for it to say the "arowana" so specifically and for me to open that book and read it literally the same week I had a "what kind of fish-marijuana?" dumped into my tank, the first page it fell to in a 150 page book? it was cool and weird.

This could be exploited by some, the aro trade, but for the one's who are born into those beliefs the Arowana are absolutely revered. It's really quite beautiful but reading all the fish rules is kind of cool. Not all Feng Shui books talk as much about Aro's, there's quite a variety.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
The flower horn bring good luck was a marketing scam and they tryed to copy the selling points of asian aros to try to boost sales

the stuff about asian aros has been about for years when you are down the fish will adsorb all your neg energy and that king of stuff

i do belive it to some point

if you take good care of the aro it will take care of your luck

when i have been sick a few times my aro has seemed to go off its food

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
i know chinese superstition and feng shui has always been around, and the role fish play in feng shui, and that the asian aro has been revered for a very long time. let me clarify, not to take away from anyone's belief, what i meant was i think this became a household belief as a result of marketing, which isn't hard given the aro's legacy and resemblance to the mythical dragon.

as said the flowerhorn thing is a marketing ploy, but i bet the people paying thousands of dollars on one do believe they bring wealth and good luck, and people who don't keep fish probably don't even know about it. who knows maybe decades from now if the fish and marketing keep up, the flowerhorn thing will become a household belief too. but it'll never surpass the asian aro, that i'm sure.

this is totally unrelated, but my mom and aunt tell me not to keep an 'empty tank' at home cause its not good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store