Are Dinosaur Bichirs Solitary Fish?

Evie Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2019
I have a male Dinosaur Bichir naked Valentino who is about a year old. He is in a 75 gallon tank. He was in the tank with a female bichir who was bullied to death by a very aggressive rainbow shark, who has since been re-homed. I was very sad to lose her and should have moved him out of the tank months ago. They seem to really get along well and were very friendly with one another. I’m wondering if I should get him another bichir to hang out with or will he be ok in the 75 gallon alone? He seems fine. He’s a very active bichir who swims almost all the time. Loves to play in the bubbles. Very good appetite also. What do all suggest?

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Most of the time dinosaur bichirs or polypterus senegalus or sen for short are able to peacefully coexist with other polypterus or polys for short. Sometimes though just like all animals you get one that doesnt follow the "normal" behaviour patterns. Id say yes get another. My first two of my current batch were a regular sen and an albino. I now have many polypterids living happily in a 300g pond.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
Agree with twentyleagues twentyleagues . In my experience with Senegalus Bichir they are pretty mild aggressive so adding another shouldn't be a problem.

Evie Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2019
Most of the time dinosaur bichirs or polypterus senegalus or sen for short are able to peacefully coexist with other polypterus or polys for short. Sometimes though just like all animals you get one that doesnt follow the "normal" behaviour patterns. Id say yes get another. My first two of my current batch were a regular sen and an albino. I now have many polypterids living happily in a 300g pond.
Thank you for the advice. A pond full of bichirs sounds amazing. They are my favorite fish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have had 6 Senegal bichirs together along with about 6 or so other bichirs and none of them have shown any hints of aggression towards one another or the multitude of fish they share the tank with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store