Are freshwater planarian worms harmful to humans?

newfishhobbyist

Feeder Fish
Oct 2, 2007
Minneapolis
Hi. I noticed white planarian worms crawling across the front of my 29 gallon freshwater tank that is freshwater, stocked with 2 Hornwort, 2 Java Fern, 1 Rill plant, and 15 Mickey Mouse Platy adolescent fry (most are solid and almost 1 inch in length). Tank temperature is aruond 79 degrees Farenheit.

I know why the planaria are there: because I have been over-feeding the fish, but not gravel syphoning as often as I should which is my fault.

Yesterday I noticed the worms while my left arm was submerged while cleaning the tank for a few minutes. When I pulled my left arm out, it was red and immediately develped raised, itchy welts which forced me to go to my clinic's Urgent Care to get benedryl and a prednisone prescription. The hives reaction went away but now I'm freaked out!

Are planaria worms toxic to humans (dead or alive) and do you think that is what my allergic reaction was related to? Or could I have developed an allergy to the plants in my tank? Or could my allergic reaction be related to a built up intolerance my body may have towards the frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp that I feed my platies?

I am making an appointment with my allergist. But in the meantime, aside from purchasing non-latex gloves (I'm allergic to latex unfortunately) to wear when I do clean the tank/feed the fish...what else can I do to avoid another allergic reaction?

Should I throw out the frozen bloodworms and shrimp and see if that is the problem, and not the planarian worms?

Thanks for your help!

Newfishhobbyist

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have never heard of planaria harming man but many people aallergic to various algae

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
You could probably do a bit of a DIY allergy test with the shrimp and bloodworm. Rub a piece on your arm and see what happens :confused: If you get a reaction in that spot, then you know to avoid that item.

If you know you have an allergy to latex, then it's possible you could have a reaction to other things as well. The allergist will test a lot of common things, but I dont know if bloodworms and planaria are on the common test lists. :confused: You might have to work those out for yourself and then ask the allergist for advice.

Cheers

Ian

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
That reminds me, many people are also allergic to bloodworms

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
When I hear the name bloodworm I always think of the predatory SW annelid similar to pile worms.

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
guppy;1171988; said:
When I hear the name bloodworm I always think of the predatory SW annelid similar to pile worms.
Midge larva? News to me! My bloodworms go on large hooks for flounder and striped bass fishing.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store