Are galvanize stock tanks safe for fish?

mkman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
CA
Guys, I found some 6'x2'x2' galvanized stock tanks for a good price.

Are they safe to use for fish? I want to put my catfish in there.

I have not seen plastic ones but if someone knows of plastic ones with this dimension let me know. Rubbermaids don't make this size at all.

Please tell me if they are safe. Someone told me they can leach metals???

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Most people that keep fish in galvanized tubs do so with a pond liner between the metal walls and water. Galvanized tanks may have a fine coat of oil, as a rust preventative, from the manufacturer. Also, under aquarium conditions, the metal may leech toxic levels of zinc into the water (may cause lethargy, disorientation, gastroenteritis, demensia, etc.). You may be able to seal it with 2-part marine epoxy (same stuff plywood aquarium builders use).

mkman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
CA
hmmm, I may just place pond liner in there. I had thought it was ok but I suppose not.

Behemoth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Arkansas
Great question. Great answer. I was looking a galvanized tub from a farm implement store for my catfish.

chesterfieldzoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
michigan
I have kept goldfish and koi in galvanized stock tanks for short amounts of time (3 months) with no problem. Rubbermaid does make plastic stock tanks. I have 3 8' diameter ones that I put my (pond)fish in for spring cleaning but they are a bit more expensive.

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
mkman;1480203; said:
Guys, I found some 6'x2'x2' galvanized stock tanks for a good price.

Are they safe to use for fish? I want to put my catfish in there.

I have not seen plastic ones but if someone knows of plastic ones with this dimension let me know. Rubbermaids don't make this size at all.

Here ya go dude!

http://www.behlencountry.com/cattle/tanks/poly/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store