Are Mono's fin nippers?

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
I recently added a small Mono Sabea to my brackish tank and he is nipping at my Violet Goby's fins constantly. My Goby is such a pushover he doesn't do anything but run. I've never had any of my fish nip at him until this guy came along. I just finished setting up a nice pile of rocks for my Goby to hide in and the Mono can't get to him. Just curious if it's common for Mono's to be fin nippers?

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
I'm going to get two more as soon as I transfer them to the 125g but my 55g is pretty crowded right now. Maybe when I get a couple more they will settle down.

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
Good idea monos are a schooling fish . I will be moving my brackish to my 135g soon. 210g for my cichlids is on order.:headbang2

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
Sweet :headbang2 My 55g is going to be a my African Cichlid tank a 210g would be damn nice though! As for the Mono I have heard they are schooling fish but I picked up just one to kind of test him out and see if I like it. Other than the fin nipping he's a very cool fish and has lots of personality.

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
My Mono Sebae picks on my Archer....After he chases the Archer around the tank then he flips out on the Molly's. I think my Mono has a serious problem....He cant get along with anyone....

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
they tend to be nippy especially in low numbers, which happens in many schooling fish

ArcherintheBimmer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
xspainx69;2432568; said:
My Mono Sebae picks on my Archer....After he chases the Archer around the tank then he flips out on the Molly's. I think my Mono has a serious problem....He cant get along with anyone....
Its not just yours, I had one that did the same thing. It seemed to mainly chase my archers around and ignore most other fish. My only guess is that they look similar (silver w/ black bands) and tend to be more agressive towards them for that? I wouldn't say they injured them or anything though, so overall it seemed to be a fine fish to own for a community tank.

cambo01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
chesterfield uk
i sold my 5 monos as there nippin was gettin worse with age, they were constantly after my cloumbian shark

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
I picked up another Mono last night so now I have three. The largest one has seemed to calm down some but he's not as relaxed as the other two. I will probably get two more and see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store